Whats Schaffer's Grease # to use?

Application: Toyota drive line
So, as everyone with Toyota's know; they specify non-moly lithium based grease for there u-joints. The slip yoke and/or double cardan joints specify moly lithium grease. For the last few years I've been running Spicer Grease (calcium sulfate) in all above applications, per Spicer. I'd like to switch to Schaffer's brand because i'm already using a lot of there products. Looks like #229 Ultra red supreme may work, although schaffer's doesn't specify moly % in the 229, the #238 has 5% moly, concerned that may be excessive. Anyone willing to school me down on this would be appreciated.

The 229 uses a different solid lubricant, and is very tacky - like the 238. Their newest grease is #219, and has some pretty impressive EP numbers without being overly tacky. If you are looking for a single grease to use on everything, the 219 would be my pick. You could also see what the folks at Schaeffer think.

The 229 uses a different solid lubricant, and is very tacky - like the 238. Their newest grease is #219, and has some pretty impressive EP numbers without being overly tacky. If you are looking for a single grease to use on everything, the 219 would be my pick. You could also see what the folks at Schaeffer think.
I’ll look into the 219 and contact there customer service. Thanks

Does Shaeffers 219 have moly? I looked at this grease also when deciding, some info./specs. were hard to find and it was difficult to buy just 1 tube. But I am sure it is great stuff.

FWIW I am running Mystik High Temp. in the U-Joints and Mystik High Temp. w/3% moly in the slip joints. It is a lithium complex base, which is called out in the owners manual. I greased my `18 4Runner a couple weeks ago for the 1st time. Pumped U-joints until new grease was visible and gave the sliders just 2 pumps as for fear too much grease will cause a pogo effect. Used clean paper towels to "floss" the excess grease off the u-joints so it wouldn't fling everywhere when driving.

I don't think these components are fussy, just don't let them go dry or introduce incompatible greases.

Last edited:
Does Shaeffers 219 have moly? I looked at this grease also when deciding, some info./specs. were hard to find and it was difficult to buy just 1 tube. But I am sure it is great stuff.

FWIW I am running Mystik High Temp. in the U-Joints and Mystik High Temp. w/3% moly in the slip joints. It is a lithium complex base, which is called out in the owners manual. I greased my `18 4Runner a couple weeks ago for the 1st time. Pumped U-joints until new grease was visible and gave the sliders just 2 pumps as for fear too much grease will cause a pogo effect. Used clean paper towels to "floss" the excess grease off the u-joints so it wouldn't fling everywhere when driving.

I don't think these components are fussy, just don't let them go dry or introduce incompatible greases.
I like the idea of the mystik. My consider this, I don’t mind having two grease guns. I do 4 pumps a year in my 15 4Runner slip yoke. To answer your question, yes the 219 does contain some type of moly.

Not saying the Mystik is better, it's just a better match of what the Toyota owners manual calls for. Many people in my research speak highly of Mytik High Temp JT6 and it is inexpensive.

From my understanding it is not recommended to use moly in roller bearings/u-joints, but many do without issue. The moly in Schaffers 219 and others might be okay if you get the okay from their tech support people?

The 219 is my go-to grease now. I’m using it in everything from boat trailer bearings and farm equipment to construction equipment and OTR trucks. I understand the theory behind not using moly in high speed bearings however I gambled on it and haven’t seen any failures to date. I also got a neighbor on it too. The CV joint in his 20’ Bush Hog mower would take 5-6 pumps to see grease every time he fueled the tractor on the clear Mystik, now it’s 2-3. It seems to stay in the joint much better. He said theres not as much vibration in turns since switching too.

Back