What's in your filter? Media types explained

Fram TG & Purolator Ones have been a "Synthetic Blend" for years now. I'm not sure how a PureOne is Cellulose Only.
Thank you for all your hard work in putting this thread together.

The Purolator PureONE was advertised as having Purolator's "Micronic" media, which was just resin impregnated cellulose. This was the case as recently as the end of 2015 when the filter was still yellow with the "textured" can.
Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 12.31.43 PM.png

The company changed hands several times.

Starting in 2016, the PurolatorONE appeared, replacing the PureONE, which has a blend media:
Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 12.33.04 PM.png

From what I recall, the Purolator PureONE, referenced in the OP, was never advertised as having blend media and ceased to exist after the PurolatorONE was introduced to replace it.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your hard work in putting this thread together.

The Purolator PureONE was advertised as having Purolator's "Micronic" media, which was just resin impregnated cellulose. This was the case as recently as the end of 2015 when the filter was still yellow with the "textured" can.
View attachment 163626

The company changed hands several times.

Starting in 2016, the PurolatorONE appeared, replacing the PureONE, which has a blend media:
View attachment 163627

From what I recall, the Purolator PureONE, referenced in the OP, was never advertised as having blend media and ceased to exist after the PurolatorONE was introduced to replace it.
You're welcome for providing you updated information for your thread. That's why I posted. You referenced an out of production filter from 2015 in 2021 so that's what had me confused. Thankfully, Purolator finally put money into their filter lineup around the time Boss came out. Regardless, This seems to be a good thread to talk about filter media. Thanks! (y)

You're welcome for providing you updated information for your thread. That's why I posted.
I referenced a well-known high efficiency cellulose filter (the PureONE) as an example of such in the OP (context context context):
OVERKILL said:
An example of a high efficiency cellulose filter would be the Purolator PureONE.
You referenced that same filter:
fantastic said:
I'm not sure how a PureOne is Cellulose Only.
as a current product, and having blend media, clearly not realizing that this product was replaced by the PurolatorONE around 2016.

Thanks to my sarcasm-laden post, you've now been brought up to speed.

You referenced an out of production filter from 2015 in 2021 so that's what had me confused.
But you didn't know it was an out of production filter, or a different filter from the PurolatorONE, which is the filter you were thinking of, when you authored your reply.

Again, with regards to the context, the statement made was about high efficiency cellulose, of which there aren't many examples (most are blends or synthetic). The PureONE is an example that most people would know about, albeit, the potential for confusion with the later PurolatorONE is acknowledged.

I referenced a well-known high efficiency cellulose filter (the PureONE) as an example of such in the OP (context context context):

You referenced that same filter:

as a current product, and having blend media, clearly not realizing that this product was replaced by the PurolatorONE around 2016.

Thanks to my sarcasm-laden post, you've now been brought up to speed.

But you didn't know it was an out of production filter, or a different filter from the PurolatorONE, which is the filter you were thinking of, when you authored your reply.

Again, with regards to the context, the statement made was about high efficiency cellulose, of which there aren't many examples (most are blends or synthetic). The PureONE is an example that most people would know about, albeit, the potential for confusion with the later PurolatorONE is acknowledged.
Yes, I'm suffering from outdated names. Marketing seems to burn in the brain for ages. I did reference PureOne but meant Purolator One the Blended version. I think this is all great documentation to clarify what was & what is current production. I understand now why you referenced the PureOne since you were explaining the Cellulose type media & it fit the description at one point in production.

Yes, I knew the Purolator One was a Synthetic blend (10k version filter) as far back as 2016. I remember speaking to Purolator, back around 2016, around those changes & after asking questions about these new products. I've referenced this time of change in several post's on this forum. Mainly referencing the Boss release. They ended up sending me a free box of 6 Purolator Boss filters to put on my 7.3L Power Stroke. That was generous of them to do. What I did not know was the media type of the Cellulose only version pre 2016 & your post has helped explain that.

Purolator used the "Micronic" name for their media way back in 1949. Probably came up with that name because Purolator claimed their media caught smaller sized (microns/microscopic) particles. So this media must be pretty "Micronic" might have been their naming angle. Nothing to do with the material used in the media.

1687898680903.png

Last edited:
Purolator used the "Micronic" name for their media way back in 1949. Probably came up with that name because Purolator claimed their media caught smaller sized (microns/microscopic) particles. So this media must be pretty "Micronic" might have been their naming angle. Nothing to do with the material used in the media.

View attachment 163655
Yup, there's an old thread on it here somewhere.

From one of those threads, this was from a 1992 brochure:
Purolator said:
The Micronic Element- A resin impregnated cellulose fiber construction that contains semi-depth pleating and high temperature curing. This curing transforms the basic structure into a durable heat-shock and chemical-resistant filter medium.

I think that's one of the only descriptions of the media out there unfortunately.

Last edited:
Excellent reading 👍

Do all FleetGuard filters have that same good looking media?
Or is it application sensitive?
The media is going to vary by filter part number and by engine application. Cummins HD diesel engines actually utilize our proprietary nanofiber media called NanoNet, which is made with polymers instead of glass or cellulose. But it really just depends on the requirements of the engine OEM as to what media type is used. Oil/lube filters have a lot less going on than the fuel filters of today's engines.

Common sense sends me to using M1ES and filter every 7-10 k miles with 95 %highway driving. Plently of protection, overkill maintenance. Any 20k + filter fits the bill.
Corolla is killing it mileage hungry.

How are the Amsoil EA15K filters? I have been using them for oil changes on my mother's TDI (CJAA, 2013). They are the only filters with any kind of synthetic media that I can find, and the only ones that don't collapse over the oil change interval. EA15K06 is the part number, it's a cartridge filter.

How are the Amsoil EA15K filters? I have been using them for oil changes on my mother's TDI (CJAA, 2013). They are the only filters with any kind of synthetic media that I can find, and the only ones that don't collapse over the oil change interval. EA15K06 is the part number, it's a cartridge filter.
They are very good filters.

Normally I'd say Amsoil filters are a bad value, but it looks like for that particular application Amsoil is the only wire backed filter available, if you're in the US, for more common applications I'd look for a Fram Endurance filter as they are pretty much the same filter as the Amsoil just a different coat of paint and they're cheaper.

Normally I'd say Amsoil filters are a bad value, but it looks like for that particular application Amsoil is the only wire backed filter available, if you're in the US, for more common applications I'd look for a Fram Endurance filter as they are pretty much the same filter as the Amsoil just a different coat of paint and they're cheaper.
I am in the US. Fram Endurance is usually what I use on other cars. The only exception would be my 79 Subaru in the winter, it runs very high oil pressure on cold startup (sometimes 130+ psi) and the filters with nitrile gaskets sometimes blow the gasket out. Premium Guard/Microgard Select with the silicone gasket works the best in the winter. Not a stock engine, but an EA71S (factory race engine for FJ1600), which has large clearances, needs a 50 or 60wt oil. M1 5W50 or M1 Racing 0W50 is what I usually run in the winter. Oil temps on the highway get as high as 130C, but never any higher. Average RPM on the highway is 4000 or so (low gearing). Has a Ford Racing 90 degree oil filter adapter so it runs a PH2 style filter. If there was a wire backed filter with a silicone gasket, I would run it. The next question would be in regards to a filter for my friend's car. He has a modified Oldsmobile 5.7 diesel in a Toronado. The stock filter stud is replaced with a 13/16 to 1 1/8-16 adapter stud because of the difficulty of finding PH11/PH25 equivalent filters, and the mediocre efficiency of the ones available. With the adapter it runs a CAT 1R-0713 oil filter. This is an "Advanced High Efficiency" version. Does anyone know what media is in the CAT filters at this point and what the efficiency rating is? Obviously they are extremely high quality with an O-ring seal and cast aluminum baseplate, but the actual efficiency is a mystery. Included are a couple pictures of the filter in question. I know it's not technically an automotive filter but this one is being used in an automotive application. I also know Donaldson makes a Synteq filter in this thread size and gasket diameter for the newer QSB6.7 Cummins but we are not yet sure if it will fit length wise without hanging lower than the oil pan.
CM20220504-87acf-6f38c.jpeg
CM20220504-eedeb-f81c5.jpeg

I am in the US. Fram Endurance is usually what I use on other cars. The only exception would be my 79 Subaru in the winter, it runs very high oil pressure on cold startup (sometimes 130+ psi) and the filters with nitrile gaskets sometimes blow the gasket out. Premium Guard/Microgard Select with the silicone gasket works the best in the winter. Not a stock engine, but an EA71S (factory race engine for FJ1600), which has large clearances, needs a 50 or 60wt oil. M1 5W50 or M1 Racing 0W50 is what I usually run in the winter. Oil temps on the highway get as high as 130C, but never any higher. Average RPM on the highway is 4000 or so (low gearing). Has a Ford Racing 90 degree oil filter adapter so it runs a PH2 style filter. If there was a wire backed filter with a silicone gasket, I would run it.
That's an interesting problem. Because yeah, there are a decent number of wire-backed synthetic media filters for that application, but they all have nitrile gaskets I believe.

Funny seeing those Cummins Confidential slides from over a decade ago. Fleetguard melt-blown media has advanced quite a bit since those days...we were right on the cusp of our first nanofiber fuel filter back around that time 2010/2011 for high horsepower engines in the mining sector. Now that media tech has trickled all the way down to RAM trucks and other medium duty applications. Media is a pretty fascinating topic of discussion though...it's always fun to take people through the plant tour in Cookeville to show where we produce the melt-blown StrataPore and NanoNet grades.
Guessing we know some of the same people down there as the CMI world is a pretty small one. Been on that line several times with names I'm sure you'd know.

Back