What's Happened To Links?

ALL of your links have the ubb forum embedded. We aren't on UBB any more.

So, it’s time to update your links.

All of the original posts and content are there, and I would encourage you to use the new search function to find your favorite posts.

So every link posted through the history of BITOG, and every external search result is now toast, and your thought is to “use the new search“. To say nothing of all the trashed post formatting.... I suppose it won’t kill BITOG, but you just lopped off a ton of history and intrinsic value. It will be years in repairing, if in fact it is every truly fixed. I suspect much will simply be discarded.

great plan. Maybe I simply hold BITOG, it’s history, and it’s value in more regard.

Is there at least some way to search by post number?

Last edited:
No, we have a rewrite that should redirect most links to the appropriate post in the new forum. There appears something not quite right and we're looking at it.

Wayne

So every link posted through the history of BITOG, and every external search result is now toast, and your thought is to “use the new search“. To say nothing of all the trashed post formatting.... I suppose it won’t kill BITOG, but you just lopped off a ton of history and intrinsic value. It will be years in repairing, if in fact it is every truly fixed. I suspect much will simply be discarded.
Is your drama really necessary especially when it's wrong ? For one, search engines (Google, etc) will index the site's data very quickly with the current links. Two, until then, as Wayne points out, the website can capture links that point to the UBB addresses and redirect them to the current location. This will apply to old links posted in threads here as well as external search results.

No, we have a rewrite that should redirect most links to the appropriate post in the new forum. There appears something not quite right and we're looking at it.
FWIW, I found a random post from late June (obviously from UBB time) and copied some text. I put that text (with quotes around it) into Google's search and it was result # 1. The Google link is pointing to a UBB URL but when you click it, you get (quietly) re-directed to the current thread's XF URL. Appears to be working fine.

Search term: "Red Line has a nice PDF catalog for the Red Line users"
Google link to thread: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5462092/red-line-pdf-catalog
Where you end up after clicking link: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/red-line-pdf-catalog.328744/#post-5462092

(y)

great plan. Maybe I simply hold BITOG, it’s history, and it’s value in more regard.

Is there at least some way to search by post number?
It's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

The forum was JUST migrated over to an entirely new platform. It takes time for the admins to get everything switched around and configured, something that I'm sure they'll be tinkering with for a long time. It's just the way it is.

Do you think Wayne went onto Amazon and "bought" a XenForo license on a credit card and checked out and it all converted over by simply typing in "www.bobistheoilguy.com" and pushing Enter on his keyboard?

Get real.

It's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

The forum was JUST migrated over to an entirely new platform. It takes time for the admins to get everything switched around and configured, something that I'm sure they'll be tinkering with for a long time. It's just the way it is.

Do you think Wayne went onto Amazon and "bought" a XenForo license on a credit card and checked out and it all converted over by simply typing in "www.bobistheoilguy.com" and pushing Enter on his keyboard?

Get real.

yea, it does look like that. You see, an actual project plan would have included rather a lot of things not apparent here, and unlike you, I’ve run many of them. Just a few obvious examples:

1). there should have been a pilot to detect problems.
2: user login errors should have been presented with a message explaining the upgrade and required password reset
3). old post format loss: Why not write a format conversion routine and run it. It would almost certainly take a lot of time, but I’ve never seen a data migration that accepted data loss as ”just part of the process”
3). The redirect: That’s exactly what one would do. Not the Mickey Mouse answer Astro14, apparently an admin, popped off with. However, had there been a pre-cut pilot you would have found that, tested the redirect, and had it in place first.

so yes fellas, 35 years of managing IT projects suggests I do have a clue of a professionally managed conversion. This one was done on a shoestring, and with not a lot of deep IT experierenice in conversions.

Now the good news: It does seem Wayne is making the right decisions, just in a reactive instead of pro-active way. Why Astro delivered his obviously incorrext answer is unclear, but take that up with him/her.

yea, it does look like that. You see, an actual project plan would have included rather a lot of things not apparent here, and unlike you, I’ve run many of them. Just a few obvious examples:

1). there should have been a pilot to detect problems.
Done - extensive preproduction testing.
2: user login errors should have been presented with a message explaining the upgrade and required password reset
Done - post made explaining the migration
3). old post format loss: Why not write a format conversion routine and run it. It would almost certainly take a lot of time, but I’ve never seen a data migration that accepted data loss as ”just part of the process”
Done, but not as simple as you believe
3). The redirect: That’s exactly what one would do. Not the Mickey Mouse answer Astro14, apparently an admin, popped off with. However, had there been a pre-cut pilot you would have found that, tested the redirect, and had it in place first.
Done, but not as simple as you believe

When you disrespect a moderator on this site, as you have, you will get time off.

so yes fellas, 35 years of managing IT projects suggests I do have a clue of a professionally managed conversion. This one was done on a shoestring, and with not a lot of deep IT experierenice in conversions.

Now the good news: It does seem Wayne is making the right decisions, just in a reactive instead of pro-active way. Why Astro delivered his obviously incorrext answer is unclear, but take that up with him/her.

See my answers in the quote box

Folks, let me be crystal clear:

Constructive feedback is welcome.

However, blatant rudeness, demeaning criticism, and character assassination, have never been acceptable on the site.

So, if you cannot figure out a way to constructively word your feedback, it would be best if you refrain from posting.

If you do decide to couch your feedback in rude, defaming and personal terms, you should not be surprised by subsequent moderator action.

BITOG members who cannot follow the rules will get a warning, using our new warning system, and if the warning is insufficient, they can expect to be banned.

That has always been the case, and it has not changed just because we have new software.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

If a person does not like my attempts to translate the technical into simple analogies in order to answer the multitude of questions about our migration, I’m sorry.

I reckoned it was better you get an answer than to be ignored.

Wayne, who has been working practically around the clock for a week, frankly doesn’t have time to answer all of the questions. He is too busy tweaking, upgrading, adding functionality, and fixing user accounts.

Your patience with the process is greatly appreciated.

BITOG members who cannot follow the rules will get a warning, using our new warning system, and if the warning is insufficient, they can expect to be banned.

That has always been the case, and it has not changed just because we have new software.

Not to go off track, but in the past warnings were never given by some Mods in many cases, which I think is not a good way to moderate a chat board. It was just "boom", you're banned. Is the "new warning system" now a new approach to moderating? PM me if you don't want to reply publicly. Or maybe this should be a new topic to discuss in this forum if there are new changes to the moderation techniques.

Last edited:
Zee,

Yet, XF has a capability to 'warn', which we are trying out. Hopefully, by warning folks will take note and we won't need to ban.

Yet, XF has a capability to 'warn', which we are trying out. Hopefully, by warning folks will take note and we won't need to ban.
What does it look like when you get a warning? Do you get an automatic PM? Does it give you a link to the post for which you've been warned and why?

Feel free to warn me to show me how it works. :)

I’m not willing to discuss particular moderating decisions, that is, why did member X get certain actions, but we can talk in general terms.

So, we used to warn via PM, which is cumbersome. Now, there is a warning system built into Xenforo, and you'll get a notice. The warnings have points, depending on severity, and expiration dates. If you get a warning, it’s visible in your profile, and the alert on the top right of the site (the little bell) will register. It’s quick, and you can read the comments/reason in that alert.

Banning works the same as it always did. Moderator discretion on duration, as before, and it really depends on the circumstances and history of that member. A ban can last any period from a day, up to forever.

In general, if someone ignores warnings, or has multiple warnings, then a ban is the next level. But it really depends. An egregious post, I mean really bad, has resulted in a permanent ban as step one. You’ve may have seen some of those posts...in the few minutes they existed...

In general, those entire threads have been removed from view, because they were already contentious. A bunch of Vitriol is helping no one. The really offensive posts have always been removed from view. For example, a member once suggested an anatomical impossibility, in the most profane terms, and made their complete contempt for the board, and other person(s), crystal clear. That was egregious enough to merit a permanent ban on the spot...and it was removed from view on the spot.

I’ve seen some members, who have a long history of reasonable behavior, step out of line, and a quick PM (now warning) was enough to resolve the situation.

I think it’s true that moderator actions have been both necessary and proportional to maintain BITOG‘s clearly articulated standards of behaviors. I’ve seen members get a lot of second, third, fourth, or more chances....but it depends on the member, what was said, what happened in private conversations, and extenuating circumstances, if any.

If a member is banned, they won’t be able to log in for as long as the ban lasts. You can still email the admin as a banned member. In the Xenforo software, a banned member will have a line through their username.

One final point/request. If you disagree with a moderating decision, a polite, thoughtful, private message (now called conversations, the little envelope in the upper right corner) discussion is recommended. Starting an acrimonious public debate is, in itself a violation of BITOG conduct, and it really isn’t going to be effective in changing someone’s mind... But I’ll listen to a rational point of view.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:
Now, there is a warning system built into Xenforo, and you'll get a notice. The warnings have points, depending on severity, and expiration dates. If you get a warning, it’s visible in your profile, and the alert on the top right of the site (the little bell) will register. It’s quick, and you can read the comments/reason in that alert.
That's not at all how it worked when Wayne just gave me a warning. All I got was a PM from him. There was no alert on top right (little bell). Plus, the warning points are only visible to the mods, but not to the users themselves.

That's not at all how it worked when Wayne just gave me a warning. All I got was a PM from him. There was no alert on top right (little bell). Plus, the warning points are only visible to the mods, but not to the users themselves.
We warned each other to try this out.

Guess it works a bit different depending on your role...or I remember it wrong....or both.

Thanks for the clarification.

Back