What's Happened To Links?

I myself refer others to varies threads here, and I often perform searches that lead to threads here in BITOG. As of this moment many/most don't the work. I seem to constantly receive this error:

1594774382435.png

Here was the link Google delivered: from the search below:

From the search below:

1594774431764.png

Doens't seem to matter if I'm logged in or not. But then logging in was a PITA too. Seemed like all passwords had been lost too maybe?

Any insights?

Thanks,
D

Thank you, that answers what I asked, and it does make sense. I should maybe asked why because dns servers are self checking and self repairing. It just needs a bit of time for the processes to run.

I had to re-login with a new user ID and pass code. What a PITA.

Maybe he did I had to change my password, and I know what it had been. Nor is he the only guy seeing wierd login/password things.

Here's another one that used to work..

Heck, lets make it two:

Heck, lets make it two:

ALL of your links have the ubb forum embedded. We aren't on UBB any more.

So, it’s time to update your links.

All of the original posts and content are there, and I would encourage you to use the new search function to find your favorite posts.

Maybe he did I had to change my password, and I know what it had been. Nor is he the only guy seeing wierd login/password things.

Yes, everyone was required to reset their password as part of the migration.

A lot of people didn’t get the message, because they’ve changed their emails since they became members, and they didn’t read Wayne’s posts on the upcoming change, or the posts on how to login once the change was made.

So, there are a lot of members who created new user names, and new passwords.... Unnecessarily...

Thus creating a slew of complaints, and a bunch of extra work for Wayne.

There were some accounts that had problems, and Wayne has worked through every single one that’s been brought to his attention.

With 72,000 members, Wayne has done an extraordinary job, and a tremendous amount of work to bring better functionality, including search, along with the ability to make future upgrades and improvements in functionality, to the forum.

Imagine if you were still using a 20 year old cell phone. BITOG was on 20 year old software.

The upgrade was needed, and as the improvements roll out, and the bugs are resolved, I think everyone will be a lot happier.

I want to reiterate this point; Wayne has put in a phenomenal amount of work.

So, constructive feedback, and glitch resolution are welcome.

Whining, in light of his hard work, which was done for our benefit, reflects poorly on those engaged in it.

Again, he didn't need to create a new account. To put it simply (it's more complex than this but it's the jist of the situation), our passwords are "secret". This website doesn't know our actual passwords, hence they couldn't transfer them to the new software. Instructions were made that everyone would have to use the password reset option. You enter your sign-in name then select the password reset option. It then asks you for your email address that the add'l steps are sent to. If you no longer use that email account, what could this site do about that ? That's the only "link" it has between your username and the site.

that's one reason for the forum change , less load for the servers when you search for old stuff. Less load leads to less expenses for the forum owner.

that's one reason for the forum change , less load for the servers when you search for old stuff. Less load leads to less expenses for the forum owner.

Let me be clear, this upgrade wasn’t about cost savings to the owner

It cost money to upgrade the software. A significant part of the operating budget of the site. The server costs before and after the upgrade are the same.

This change was about providing improved functionality, stability, and search, as well as enabling future ability to change and improve that functionality. UBB was not being updated anymore. It was a technological dead-end. It wasn’t going to get any better.

It also required a tremendous amount of work from Wayne, our Admin.

So, it cost money, and took a lot of work, to bring all of BITOG a better forum.

Primarily no stalls when someone performs a search. With UBB every search was SQL based, which can contend with normal user functions. With ElasticSearch, it runs under it's own process, unrelated to SQL. It's index based and absolutely flies.

Documents 5,317,596 (1.2 GB)
Index updates 5,626,435
Searches 47,870 (4 milliseconds average)
Allocated memory 2.7 MB

I had to re-login with a new user ID and pass code. What a PITA.
Yep, me too. Been a member for so long I can't remember when I joined. After the new software it wouldn't let me log in and didn't even recognize my email address when I tried to reset my password. Had to create a new user name and new account. Not happy.

Back