What would something like this cost?

Want to get the rear quarters fixed on the Tahoe. I already have new bumpers coming.

I see LMC truck and other places sell the rear quarter patch panel which would encompass this piece. They are about $100 a piece.

I stopped by one local shop and they quoted about $6,100. However, they were replacing the entire panel from top to bottom, repainting both rear doors to blend, replacing fender flares, Z71 badging, etc. I'd be happy with just cut and weld in panels and blended to a touch above the new panel. I wouldn't care too much if it didn't match great as long as it didn't look like complete heck.

Oddly enough the inner quarters are clean.

Does any auto body or deal with it enough where you'd have an idea? Is this an un-common job (replacing a panel with a patch panel)?

1648060106799.jpeg

1648060113175.jpeg

1648060120550.jpeg

Yeah body shops want to cover their entire shop cost at least once a week. 😁

For a fraction of the cost, buy a body panel, plasma cutter, welder, air compressor, air gun and paint supplies.

Yeah body shops want to cover their entire shop cost at least once a week. 😁

For a fraction of the cost, buy a body panel, plasma cutter, welder, air compressor, air gun and paint supplies.
Yeah, you're right you probably could buy all of those things!

I've had some experience with body shop estimates.. My guess is that the REAL cost of the repair at a decent mom and pop shop will be around $3200.. The high estimate you received was the shops way of saying that we don't want to do it.. It could actually be that much if they are charging you the rates they would charge the insurance company for the damage..

A good backyard pop shop should be able to get you to an acceptable price by telling you, giving you choices for parts, paint, and labor individually for the repairs. My neighbor has a body shop behind his house.. His store front is about 8 miles away, but he drives all the vehicles over to his shop here. He's one of those mom and pop shops that lets you choose which parts you want to use (OEM, Aftermarket, or used) and trying to cut costs for you by asking you things like how much do you care if there is a noticeable change in the paint color in certain areas, letting him skip the blending step if he can.

I've had some experience with body shop estimates.. My guess is that the REAL cost of the repair at a decent mom and pop shop will be around $3200.. The high estimate you received was the shops way of saying that we don't want to do it.. It could actually be that much if they are charging you the rates they would charge the insurance company for the damage..

A good backyard pop shop should be able to get you to an acceptable price by telling you, giving you choices for parts, paint, and labor individually for the repairs. My neighbor has a body shop behind his house.. His store front is about 8 miles away, but he drives all the vehicles over to his shop here. He's one of those mom and pop shops that lets you choose which parts you want to use (OEM, Aftermarket, or used) and trying to cut costs for you by asking you things like how much do you care if there is a noticeable change in the paint color in certain areas, letting him skip the blending step if he can.
Man, I wish I knew of a place like that by me in Erie County. I should start asking around folks in my area.

On a 17 year old Tahoe, I’d might consider a visit to a PDR place and see what they could do as far as the dents since you commented that it didn’t have to be perfect. If the rust is not all the way through then perhaps a blasting followed by primer and paint.

Man, I wish I knew of a place like that by me in Erie County. I should start asking around folks in my area.
I always pick my "guys" by asking around at work, its been great so far. I found a good, honest, highly skilled mechanic that I sometimes farm out work to. I have my neighbor I can ask for body repairs, which I've never done yet. Actually, I either completely wreck my cars, or have them survive in mint condition.

On a 17 year old Tahoe, I’d might consider a visit to a PDR place and see what they could do as far as the dents since you commented that it didn’t have to be perfect. If the rust is not all the way through then perhaps a blasting followed by primer and paint.
Exactly, if it was my truck, I'd blast the rust and rattle can a good primer and just use color over it, I certainly wouldn't care about a clear. I'd pull off the bumper and attack every rust spot visible. You can rent an industrial sand blaster or soda blaster locally for about $270 a day. Probably take you an hour to clean up the rusty spots. Primer, color, and install new bumper.

I get it though, its 17 years old and it is still a great vehicle for you. I have a 20 year old chit box that I keep going and I did a little bit of paint work on it. There are certain flaws that I cannot stand. How many miles on it?

Exactly, if it was my truck, I'd blast the rust and rattle can a good primer and just use color over it, I certainly wouldn't care about a clear. I'd pull off the bumper and attack every rust spot visible. You can rent an industrial sand blaster or soda blaster locally for about $270 a day. Probably take you an hour to clean up the rusty spots. Primer, color, and install new bumper.

I get it though, its 17 years old and it is still a great vehicle for you. I have a 20 year old chit box that I keep going and I did a little bit of paint work on it. There are certain flaws that I cannot stand. How many miles on it?
What kind of magic stuff are you using on the "jellybean" Taurus? Even here they rust to death!

What is the vehicle worth?

Best bet is to look for a one man shop that does painting and body work. I know of one where I lived in NY and he did many small jobs over the years. Before we moved to Delaware I had him fix every scratch and dent he could find as I knew I would have a hard time finding a guy like him in Delaware.

I am sure there are others out there. Especially for cash.

There are companies that sell various body panel sections for someone to weld in.

Parts from an AZ vehicle of same make/model?

What kind of magic stuff are you using on the "jellybean" Taurus? Even here they rust to death!
The cheapest touch up paint and polishing compound I could find. Don't knock mine though, it has zero rust and only 104k miles, just didn't like the shopping cart scratches in my door. It was something I saw every time a got into the car.

have you checked scrap yards for bed side panels that are in good shape? For the left side anyway? there will be a good bit of labor charge in getting that dent out

Want to get the rear quarters fixed on the Tahoe. I already have new bumpers coming.

I see LMC truck and other places sell the rear quarter patch panel which would encompass this piece. They are about $100 a piece.

I stopped by one local shop and they quoted about $6,100. However, they were replacing the entire panel from top to bottom, repainting both rear doors to blend, replacing fender flares, Z71 badging, etc. I'd be happy with just cut and weld in panels and blended to a touch above the new panel. I wouldn't care too much if it didn't match great as long as it didn't look like complete heck.

Oddly enough the inner quarters are clean.

Does any auto body or deal with it enough where you'd have an idea? Is this an un-common job (replacing a panel with a patch panel)?

View attachment 93726

View attachment 93727
View attachment 93729
If your quarter panels look like that you might want to check the brake/fuel/transmission lines first. Also the frame rust.

If your quarter panels look like that you might want to check the brake/fuel/transmission lines first. Also the frame rust.
Put brand new stainless steel brake lines, nylon fuel lines, rotors and pad, calipers, fuel pump assembly in a month ago. Frame is fine.

Cut out lower quarters at the body line and weld in patch panels, 4 hours per side. Paint patch and blend the entire quarter, 4 hours per side. Paint supplies and materials, maybe $300. Total, $1200-$1500.

Cut out lower quarters at the body line and weld in patch panels, 4 hours per side. Paint patch and blend the entire quarter, 4 hours per side. Paint supplies and materials, maybe $300. Total, $1200-$1500.
I would love that -- I'd be dropping it off somewhere!

Guess I am going to start asking around. Thanks for the idea.

Back