What would be wrong(If anything?)in using 10/30 Amsoil WCT Marine oil in Chevy 502HO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1)What would be wrong in using 10/30 Amsoil(WCT)synthetic Formula 4-stroke Marine Motor Oil, in a Chevrolet crate 502 high performance(Gasoline) motor? The issue here is not the viscosity-but instead, regarding the adequacy of the oil formulation, for an everyday street performance car? This is an older 1969 vintage car that does not require having a catalytic convertor!

2)Now, assuming that the above Marine oil is perfectly fine(If so?)for an everyday street driven performance car-then, which would be the better Amsoil to choose: 1)The WCT Formula 4-Stroke Marine 10/30 Engine Oil-or, 2)The Amsoil(HDD)Series 3000 5/30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil? Please fully explain your reasons?

3)Between the above two oil choices, I want to choose the absolute best oil for my(New)Chevrolet 502 High Performance engine? Although the Marine Engine Oil is primarily targeted for marine usage, the specifications on this oil looks fantastic to me-and, I was wondering if this oil could prove to be even better for an 502 engine like mine, than even the Amsoil HDD 5/30 diesel oil? Please comment and explain your answers?

The S3000 amsoil is a very popular oil and alot of the amsoil guys on here would also recomend it.
Im not sure about the marine oils I would ask Pablo or TooSlick they are both amsoil experts.

OK, I'm now going to ask both Pablo and Tooslick for their expert opinions? Please elaborate-as this issue is very important to me!

If this is a GM Performance Parts 502 crate engine, I'd stay away from a 10W30. All GM 502s from the beginning, that I'm aware of, have low tension piston rings in them. A thicker oil is necessary to keep oil consumption down. Not that it's "bad" per se, but this is a quirk of the 502. I'd stay with a 20W50 for now and when it comes time for a rebuild, toss standard tension rings in it.

Do you plan on taking this vehicle out on the lake? Of course not just use a regular motor oil like the rest of us.
cool.gif

99: What you have suggested about replacing the factory GM Performance 502 low tension oil rings has already been done in my new engine! The oil consumption has improved considerably now! GM did this under factory warranty. In view of this, I still want to stay with the SAE 10/30 or SAE 5/30 oil viscosity for now. In view of this, I'm wanting to still get the above requested comments from Pablo and Tooslick-regarding the best Amsoil 10/30 or 5/30 to use in my 502 engine? And, whether or not the Amsoil(WCT)Formula 4-stroke Marine Engine Oil would be any better for my engine than the Amsoil(HDD)Heavy Duty Diesel 5/30 oil would be? However, I would also welcome anyone's additional comments too?

I doubt S3K would be worth while in this application. S3K really shines in extended drains and such. Standard 10W30,15W40,5W40 Amsoil formula's will probably be a better match. To be honest since you live in CA were it is plenty warm year round 15W40 Delo makes more sense. I am guessing you will be changeing the oil every 3-4 months or 3000 mile? Delo 400 would get you a nice dose of moly,calcium,zink and a nice HTHS.

The advantage of using the marine oil is the extra anti
oxidation/corrosion package that Amsoil puts in it.

Marine engines see hard but infrequent use compared to
other applications so this is what the oil was designed for.

It is also API approved.
Craig

Craig:

1)Do you think that in all other respects,in addition to it's extra anti oxidation/corrosion package, that the Amsoil(WCT)Marine Oil would work just as well as the Amsoil(HDD)Heavy Duty Diesel Oil?

2)You did not indicate between the above two oils for my 450hp/502 motor, which one you thought would be the best overall choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back