What U use to mix coolant ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

I'm planning to flush my system got 8 Gallons Of Mazda Gold Coolant ...
It needs to be mixed 50 50 with water ... :)

Do you guys use clean bucket or something ?>

Originally Posted By: Ndx

8 gallons?
shocked2.gif

Anything that won't contaminate your cooling system works.

I use a brand new never used 5 gallon diesel gas can. Like a blitz can. 5 gallon lasts about 3 changes. Easy to pour.

Last edited:
I usually use an old 1 gallon milk jug I have washed out and then rinsed with distilled water. Don't forget to use distilled water for diluting the coolant as well. $0.97 a gallon at Wall-Mart...

Also, as other suggest, you can also flush the system with several gallons of distilled water, then add %50 of the systems capacity of coolant (per the owners manual), then top up with distilled water. It will mix while driving...

Originally Posted By: bepperb
8 gallons?

I've always flushed with distilled and let the cooling system do the mixing...

100%
thumbsup2.gif

If you need 8 gallons of anything its distilled water.

Just drain and refill with the water till it comes out clear. Remember to allow it to cool down between fills.

Once its clear, take 50% of capacity of straight coolant, fill the reservoir with straight coolant and good to go. (I like a little above 50%)

Watch your levels for the next few weeks and carry coolant mix. If your vehicle needs to be burped make sure you do that.

Bill

It needs to be mixed 50 50 with water ... :)

No, I flush the system out with distilled water, drain it, then add sufficient coolant based on the system capacity to achieve the ratio I want (I go 60%).

Top it off with distilled water, and you have whatever % mix you wanted.

I always remove the thermostat and disconnect the upper radiator hose, flush the system with a garden hose while the vehicle is running with heater at max. Then when it is coming out clean, flush it with a few gallons of distilled. Reconnect the hoses and therm, find out how many gallons you need via a chilton book. I like to go 65-70 percent coolant because there is always water left over. Fill with coolant and add distiled water, burp if necessary.

As the others have said no need to mix in a separate bucket first.

First, check you owners manual for system capacity.

Do your flush in whatever method you do. After the final drain, fill your radiator with coolant to half, (50%) the OM spec'd capacity. Then top with distilled water, drive some to open tstat. Check again and top with more distilled.

The one additional thing if you have a non pressurized recovery tank you, must drain it. I usually save a small amount of coolant after I've drained and filled to ~50% coolant in system and recovery tank. It usually drains some from the recovery tank after being run. I add the remainder/extra coolant and distilled to keep 50% in the recovery tank.

Yes, I don't know of any Mazda that would have 16 gallon cooling system capacity. Could be oh, 8-12 qts.
21.gif
Hopefully they will take the return on the extra unused coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back