A good coolant suggestion needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a good coolant for a high mileage Chevy 3.1 V6? How do you mix 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water? In a bucket? Then how do you measure the correct percentage mix? Are those pre-mixed coolants worth it? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to get this right. Thanks a lot.
p.s. How about a good system cleaner?

You could use the ordinary green stuff, or some "G 05", which is better, but probably more expensive.

For the fill, find out the capacity of your cooling system. Put the neat stuff in at 1/2 that capacity and fill with distilled water.

If you pre-mix it, there is a possibility of water being left in the block from the flush, and your diluted mix will be diluted further.

There are plenty of threads here on flushing and cleaners, just hit the "search" button at the top of the page.

Dave

[ May 12, 2004, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: DavoNF ]

I use only one method (same as Dave described) for all my vehicles to ensure I have a 50% solution in the cooling system. First, I find the cooling system capacity (quarts) for my vehicle, usually found in the owners manual or shop manual. Then I completely flush the cooling system, including heater core and overflow bottle, and drain as much water from the system as possible. I fill half the capacity with antifreeze, then top off with distilled water.

Don't buy premixed solution. Save your money and buy the regular strength antifreeze and use the above method.

As far as cleaner, Prestone makes two products - Superflush and Cleaner. Actually, I forget the exact names and when they are exactly used. You may try searching the Prestone web site for exact information. In the old days we used a citric acid-based solution for cleaning. Follow directions and don't overdo it.

[ May 12, 2004, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Kestas ]

Where do you guys mix the water and the antifreeze? Do you fill the radiator and the overflow tank half and half (mix as you pour into the car) or do you mix BEFORE putting it in the car? Thanks

No, just make sure the radiator bottom tap is closed or the hose connected, put the full strength stuff in the radiator and top with water, the water pump will do the mixing eventually.

So if your system holds 5 gallons, after the flush and drain, put 2.5 gallons of antifreeze in first, then top up with water. As Kestas said, don't buy the pre-mixed stuff.

Dave

Just make sure you check the system the next day or two after the air has gone out into the overflow tank. Most of the complaints about Dexcool and others is really AIR being mixed in.

I am switching everything over to the newer technology products, using Dex-cool for GM and some other gasoline engines and Delo Extended Life for all heavy equipment, Toyotas and my fleet of light vehicles. The extra 8% heat transfer, added pump life, and better corrosion protection is worth it. Not to mention, it's easy to forget the coolant.

Zerex G-05 is a good modern antifreeze. Many manufacturers are now specifying it for the factory fill. It's compatible with the green stuff.

To answer the mixing question, you can use an old milk jug, just be sure to clean it out well (no milk crusties). Fill it half with coolant and top off with water. If you err, err on the side of a ***little*** too much coolant. I don't worry about distilled water, but then again, my tap water is not hard to begin with. If it was, I would buy distilled. I ONLY use this to top off the system, though, not for the initial fill. For that, follow the other's recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back