What type of screw is this ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford liked to use them on their MAF sensors. No reason for it, and it doesn't hold any better than a regular screw.

Originally Posted By: EricF
Ford liked to use them on their MAF sensors. No reason for it, and it doesn't hold any better than a regular screw.

The big advantage that they have is on the assembly line where the Torx driver bit can hold the Torx screw horizontally without the screw falling off. Try that with a non-magnetic flat or phillips screw head.
The second advantage that they have over the phillips head is that the bit doesn't round the screw head as easily.

Yeah I remember on my 97 Tbird the MAF sensor housing had two of the "secure" torx screws, with the hole in the middle; that's where I have the torx head from - I used it to remove and clean the MAF sensor; I think it's a T30 secure; no idea what the above pictured size is; Just to be sure I got a stubby set of screwdrivers on amazon for like $7
(I am going to need a stubby driver for the job where the above screw is involved) with various Torx sizes...hopefully it will be enough.

The domestic automakers started using them in the mid-'70s with the alleged rationale that you can apply more torque to the screw without stripping the head of the fastener - hence the name Torx. Although this was a true statement, several dealership mechanics I knew at the time disclosed that it was a strategic ploy to increase service trips to the dealer since Torx screwdrivers were a specialty tool that was nearly impossible to buy on the aftermarket until the patent was sold years later. I seem to recall that a set of Torx drivers I thought about buying cost over $100 when they came out. My how times have changed!

I didn't know HF has this external and internal Torx set. I bought 2 separate sets from someone else some years ago for more than $25-30.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
They also have a Torx-Plus configuration now. Tools will not interchange between them.

I have used regular Torx or Torx plus, but a Torx Plus tool will not work on a regular Torx.

I saw that happen when a friend of mine bought a premium set of every Torx bit that there is.

They don't fall of the driver as easy and are much harder to strip the heads on. Sometimes you can get away with a hex wrench if they aren't too tight. There are some other variations of this screw out there though, including 5,7 and 8 (uses a square driver) point types and the security type with the center pin. Torx plus can be removed with standard torx tools but torx plus tools do not work in standard torx screws.

Jeep, GM, and many others have used them over the years, it's a good investment to get a set of the screwdrivers and a set of the socket bits if you work on your own stuff much, you will run into them frequently.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
(snip) Torx plus can be removed with standard torx tools....(snip)

While a standard Torx tool will fit a Torx-Plus fastener, you DO NOT want to make this a standard practice.

Use common sense when it comes to bolt size and torques.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
(snip) Torx plus can be removed with standard torx tools....(snip)

While a standard Torx tool will fit a Torx-Plus fastener, you DO NOT want to make this a standard practice.

Use common sense when it comes to bolt size and torques.

You are correct about always using the right tool for the job, in this case the Torx+ is nearly identical to the standard torx except instead of the points tapering they are cut with more of a block/squared profile which is the reason the T+ tools won't work in standard torx, the tips of the points are too fat.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
every wranglerade has those stupid bolts that cant be removed without stripping them

My CJ has/had a lot of them too, most rusted in tight enough that I broke the tools off and ended up cutting the bolt heads off. Went back together with regular old grade 8's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back