What type of oil is this?

I work at a food manufacturing plant and we are having some problems with a mixer not raising and lowering the mixer bowl properly. It has a self contained hydraulic system that just uses a single hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower the bowl. I took an oil sample to see if it was oxidized or contaminated in any form or fashion and was possibly causing a solenoid to stick. There are no data plates, owner's manual, brand, anything on the machine to identify what it is and we bought it used years ago so I don't have any information on it.

It did look and smell like ATF but I'm hoping that someone can identify what type of oil this is based on the additive pack. I pulled the sample from the very top of the reservoir so not 100% sure how representative it is of the overall system.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

1657631342237.jpg

1657631381633.jpg

My best guess is a fairly basic ISO 46 hydraulic oil. It may have some ZDDP but it would need some other type of zinc compound as well for that ratio or it has separate zinc and phosphorous additives in it.

Look up pictures of the machine . There cannot be that many manufactures of mixers or comparable machines. Don't want to get people sick.

The 40c viscosity is in the range of regular old Dexron ATF. The additives listed are in the ballpark for Dexron, too.

Personally, I would look for binding in the mechanism first, then test by bypassing any solenoids and switches. The fluid should not cause a solenoid to stick as solenoids are just high amperage switches and should not have any contact with the hydraulic oil.

The 40c viscosity is in the range of regular old Dexron ATF. The additives listed are in the ballpark for Dexron, too.

Personally, I would look for binding in the mechanism first, then test by bypassing any solenoids and switches. The fluid should not cause a solenoid to stick as solenoids are just high amperage switches and should not have any contact with the hydraulic oil.
You are correct, I should have said that the oil was causing the valves to stick that the solenoid is trying to open. Thank you for the information.

I work at a food manufacturing plant and we are having some problems with a mixer not raising and lowering the mixer bowl properly. It has a self contained hydraulic system that just uses a single hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower the bowl. I took an oil sample to see if it was oxidized or contaminated in any form or fashion and was possibly causing a solenoid to stick. There are no data plates, owner's manual, brand, anything on the machine to identify what it is and we bought it used years ago so I don't have any information on it.
It did look and smell like ATF but I'm hoping that someone can identify what type of oil this is based on the additive pack. I pulled the sample from the very top of the reservoir so not 100% sure how representative it is of the overall system.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 107757
View attachment 107758
i work at a commercial bakery in MA, we have 6 mixers, all by Shaffer. I would try their website and maybe they can help you out.
I can talk to the maintenance guys at work and see what they use if you would like

Talked to the maintenance guys at work, they use Mobil DTE25 hydraulic oil. When they get a new mixer they drain whatever fluid comes with the mixer and use dte 25

Back