What to look for when comparing synthetic gear oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your looking for Chevron products check TSC (Tractor Supply Company). I noticed there selling Chevron Supreme for $1.45 qt. Not sure if they carry Diff. fluid though.

I'd just like to see some actual data that shows certain lubes are significantly better than others.

Like Bruce said Redlines the best.

OiledMustangGT:

- Is that a Detroit EZ Locker in your diff or a Lock-rite?

I can't find the thread, but I believe Doug Hillary (whose opinion is well respected on this board) advised that Castrol made excellent synth gear lubes.

My wally world happens to sell the Castrol Synth 75w-90, and I'm going to try it for the next drain/refill.

I ran a test with mobile 1 75-90 and amsoil 75-90 a couple years ago on the final drive of my motorcycle. Took a beginning temp reading, went out for a ride then took a second reading with an IR temp gun. Doing the same course, speed, ect. the amsoil had 10* F less heat rise. After draining the M1 & refilling with amsoil the starting temp with the amsoil was 10 degrees hotter but both finished at the same temp. This was done in the morning on a hot muggy day with about a 10 degree outside temp rise from the start of the test to the end.

Hey 04SpecV, did you ever see this thread? It just popped up again this weekend so I thought I'd post a link to it here ...

http://forums.thevboard.com/viewtopic.php?t=79769&highlight=oil

I am not alone in my zeal.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

I had the same done to my 88 5.0 and put Redline in. Thus far no problems but it is hard to tell with the differential if there has been any improvements between the different synthetic brands.
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back