what to do about a flat

Coming back to the legal issue n older tires.....the owner's manual for my Alltrack states that tires older than six years are not safe and should not be used. Now we can argue about that all we want but in a courtroom, a lawyer will pull that out, ask if you read the owner's manual and ask why you disregarded published safety information. This, to an ignorant jury, is the kind of thing that leads to guilty verdicts in laibility cases and results in huge monetary awards if someone was injured or killed. In the end, it is FAR CHEAPER to buy a new tire or two.

I agree that it is far cheaper & safer to replace tires than to face litigation's.

However, because I am a DYIer, I would take the tire off of the vehicle and inspect it. Fill it with air and look for the leak(soapy water). From there you can determine where the leak is coming from and if it need just a quick tire PLUG(DIY kit from Walmart) or is it worth the money to be taken into a shop for a complete dismount/remount/re balance for a Patch/Plug or a rim cleaning/sealing or to completely replace the tire(s).

Now, a shop may not want to touch a 14 year old tire so, keep that in mind.

Back