what to do about a flat

I found one rear tire (left) had gone completely flat while the car was in the garage. I think it was OK when I last drove it, probably picked up a nail or something from our rough gravel driveway. The car is old but not driven a lot, this tire has lots of tread and looks fine but it's old, date code is 2206 (2006). No visible cracks or aging. Should I get it repaired, or replace both rear tires? (The front tires are newer.) I can't be absolutely certain I didn't drive on it a little ways, but I doubt it. These rear tires (Kumho) are a wider than usual size (245) which is hard to find (and expensive), for performance, but I don't drive it for "performance", I'd replace with same size as the fronts.

How often are you driving the car? I would inspect to see if you can see a nail or puncture. Then inflate it first to see if you hear a hiss. If you aren't driving it anywhere for more than a 1-2 miles at a time, I would probably patch it. If you are going to drive it more than that, then look at getting some newer tires.

Define: "not driven a lot".
Any interstate high speed driving?

If you cause accident and the other party pays attention to details they will notice "expired" tires.

Krzyś

Most tire shops will check the date code prior to repair. Tire shops usually refuse to service anything over 10 years old and start to upsell tires at year 6.

Most tire shops will check the date code prior to repair. Tire shops usually refuse to service anything over 10 years old and start to upsell tires at year 6.

A lot, but not good ones. We have Les Schwab in this area and they don't play games like that. They will - for free - dismount the tire and patch it internally for you.

I'd just go have that done if you have a good tire shop near you.

A lot, but not good ones. We have Les Schwab in this area and they don't play games like that. They will - for free - dismount the tire and patch it internally for you.

I'd just go have that done if you have a good tire shop near you.
I would not consider checking date codes to be a "game." It is a serious liability issue for the shop if the tire experiences a blowout and they were sued for negligence.

I would not consider checking date codes to be a "game." It is a serious liability issue for the shop if the tire experiences a blowout and they were sued for negligence.

Refusing to service a perfectly serviceable tire is in fact a "game." Flatly going by code and not condition is "gaming" the situation. And as I said, some good tire stores don't play that. But I guess some do...

Its gaming until you are sitting in the witness box in a courtroom trying to explain to a jury why you allowed a customer to talk you into servicing a tire that no tire company will stand behind. Goodby life! I saw enough of these type of cases in the construction industry when I worked and unless you have been through these type of trials, you have no idea what it is like. They will bring in all types of "expert" witnesses", they will ask you if you EVER heard that atire that old might be bad, etc.

Refusing to service a perfectly serviceable tire is in fact a "game." Flatly going by code and not condition is "gaming" the situation. And as I said, some good tire stores don't play that. But I guess some do...
What do you deem to be a "serviceable" tire? There have to be some generally accepted best practices (at an industry level) to allow for consistency.

Update: Took it to a Firestone store, they found the valve stem had gone bad, no puncture, just replaced the stem and now good. The guy did point out that the tire was old and recommended replacing, but that was it. Very good and quick service.

I am probably going to replace the rear tires though, even though I hate throwing away tires that look perfectly fine and have probably about 8K miles on them since I bought them around 2008.

It's hotly debated on whether tires should be replaced between 6-10 years. Maybe 10 years in a cooler state that doesn't have long hot summers. If the OP is in Tucson and it's hot, then at 14 years, it's way past time for a new set of rear tires.

I would not be surprised if an insurance company stipulated a limit to patching, balancing, rotating, or doing any sort of work relating to tires > x amount of years. I’m sure the actuarial folks have a figured out a numerical point in which age has an impact on volume of claims/litigation. Regardless 14 years is pushing it. Tires are so cheap these days it’s just not worth the risk, plus I can’t fathom they’re going to be stupendous in the rain/cold.

unless there is an expiry date on the tires, 99% of the driving public have no idea they have a lifespan. In our dry and temperate climate, tires almost never age out.

Well if 14 years old is old for tires looks like I need new ones for my beetle they have a date code of 97 on the front and 02 on the back lol. I would just plug it if you can.

Back