What Tesla's Truck Could Have Been...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find the idea that the flat paneled Tesla truck is somehow "significantly cheaper" to manufacture more than a bit questionable. External body panels are not and have never been the majority of vehicle costs. Whether a door is flat, or shaped, it still has to be structurally strong enough for hinges and a latch, contain window motors and tracks, locks, speakers and so on. Not to mention the requirement for "so called" 5mph bumpers.

The initial tooling cost of stamped body panels is recovered very rapidly in today's world. Leading to part cost that is amazingly low. The rather substantial OEM steel front fender for a 2011 F150 is under $200 jobber price and $330 full retail. Heck, an aftermarket front passenger door shell is $160. There simply is not a lot of money to be saved there, as OEM production costs are substantially lower than consumer costs.

I'm starting to agree with the posters above, it may be a troll truck. Elon was really focused on making beautiful cars when he did the Model S.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
I find the idea that the flat paneled Tesla truck is somehow "significantly cheaper" to manufacture more than a bit questionable. External body panels are not and have never been the majority of vehicle costs. Whether a door is flat, or shaped, it still has to be structurally strong enough for hinges and a latch, contain window motors and tracks, locks, speakers and so on. Not to mention the requirement for "so called" 5mph bumpers.

The initial tooling cost of stamped body panels is recovered very rapidly in today's world. Leading to part cost that is amazingly low. The rather substantial OEM steel front fender for a 2011 F150 is under $200 jobber price and $330 full retail. Heck, an aftermarket front passenger door shell is $160. There simply is not a lot of money to be saved there, as OEM production costs are substantially lower than consumer costs.

I'm starting to agree with the posters above, it may be a troll truck. Elon was really focused on making beautiful cars when he did the Model S.

Well, friend of mine just put down a lot of money for his "troll truck"...so hope not?

And the number 1 selling F150 uses aluminum … GM is using steel for fixed panels but aluminum for "swing panels" … so why did the skin need to be so tough anyway ? Shrapnel I guess ?

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by PimTac
A pickup truck has to be practical and capable. The Tesla truck is not.

Fifth wheel towing? Forget it.
Having a camper? Good luck.

LOL majority of profitable pickups drive about carrying a bed of air and nothing in tow with occupant.

It might be seen that way if the trucks are driven as commuters on work days but on days off they are used to move furniture, haul firewood or lumber or dirt etc.

On both of my pickups I used them for a variety of jobs but mainly they were driven to work and back. Contractors and ranchers/farmers would be the opposite.

LOL majority of profitable pickups drive about carrying a bed of air and nothing in tow with occupant.

It might be seen that way if the trucks are driven as commuters on work days but on days off they are used to move furniture, haul firewood or lumber or dirt etc.

On both of my pickups I used them for a variety of jobs but mainly they were driven to work and back. Contractors and ranchers/farmers would be the opposite.

My Volt has moved trailers, carried a ton of lead acid golf cart batteries to recycling in the back, hauled wood pellets and moved furniture

This is the truth.

It is the exception you see anything in the bed, on the hitch, or in the backseat of a half ton truck.

They are most often used as SUV/ passenger auto replacements with occasional duty being assigned.

Not to say there aren't a lot of hard working trucks out there - just not to the point that they are consumed and driven.

UD

On top of what has been mentioned … some things just need a pickup … taking a fridge, washer, or 300# steel fireplace down to the camp? need vertical access to manage those items …
Otherwise a trailer (mine is item 22 on my list of things needing an overhaul)

15.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
And the number 1 selling F150 uses aluminum … GM is using steel for fixed panels but aluminum for "swing panels" … so why did the skin need to be so tough anyway ? Shrapnel I guess ?

I would say that guess is incorrect.

They described why, first reason is because it's a unibody vs body on frame truck so the stiffness of the body becomes meaningful, and a tough exterior was a design priority.

You can scratch a door on a painted truck driving alongside a bush, and they easily dent.

UD

Originally Posted by Ws6

Well, friend of mine just put down a lot of money for his "troll truck"...so hope not?

The $100 refundable deposit?

California Jeff posted on here that he put his money down.
I'll have to see it in production before I'm believing.
Just hideous!

Originally Posted by P10crew
Just hideous!

I must have been drinking that day... And I am 33 years sober.
That "truck" is butt-ugly.
And I love my trusty Tundra with only 200K on the clock.
It is perfect.

I think I am in the "Elon messing with us" camp on this one...

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by P10crew
Just hideous!

I must have been drinking that day... And I am 33 years sober.
That "truck" is butt-ugly.
And I love my trusty Tundra with only 200K on the clock.
It is perfect.

I think I am in the "Elon messing with us" camp on this one...

Nothing wrong with Toyota. Congratulations on 33 years.

Originally Posted by Aero540T
Originally Posted by Ws6

The $100 refundable deposit?

I believe it was 6 figures, or close. I want to say he pre-ordered it. He always has the latest "trendy stuff", the $5M house, etc. part of the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back