What snow blower would you choose from this list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to keep it around $400 or less, trying to get something that isn't a piece of garbage in that price range if that's possible.

Application: One driveway (paved, 1 car width, about 55-60ft) and a path that is on grass.

Toro Power Clear 180 (18") 87cc Single-Stage Snow Blower

Murray 1695537 21-Inch 190cc 4-Cycle OHV Briggs & Stratton

Poulan Pro PR621 21-Inch 208cc LCT Gas Powered Single Stage Snow Thrower

Mtd Products Inc 179Cc 21' Snow Thrower

Yard Machines 31A-2M1A700 21-Inch 123cc OHV 4-Cycle

Thanks for your recommendations in advance.

Stay clear of poulan and mtd.

Toro is the most reliable of the bunch , but for $200-$300 , this time of year you can get a almost new honda off craigslist.
Get a honda if you can.they start every time.
Don't buy unreliable consumer junk.
I have a craftsman 24 inch with a 7 hp briggs that I pulled out of the neighbors trash 3 years ago. It was locked up because the belt broke. The engineer who owned it bought a new one. I spent $6 and it is flawless. Even has electric start ,but i have never needed it.

$400 really limits you. If you can stretch to 600 you can do a lot better.

I'd really really try to get at 24 inch width. Also you are looking at single stage machines that are, in short, aggravating.

For your budget I'd try a mom and pop OPE store and get something gently used with warranty.

I bought a new Toro (albeit a 10HP) and Love It!

Highly recommend the Toro.

Originally Posted By: chad8
Stay clear of poulan and mtd.

Toro is the most reliable of the bunch , but for $200-$300 , this time of year you can get a almost new honda off craigslist.
Get a honda if you can.they start every time.
Don't buy unreliable consumer junk.
I have a craftsman 24 inch with a 7 hp briggs that I pulled out of the neighbors trash 3 years ago. It was locked up because the belt broke. The engineer who owned it bought a new one. I spent $6 and it is flawless. Even has electric start ,but i have never needed it.

Ok, so here's a used snow blower list that I sorted through from craigslist--since I agree that if I can find a good used machine, it would serve me a lot better and last far longer. What amongst these would be the most dependable, well built machine:

$350.00
Craftsman Snow Blower (8HP/26" w/ headlight)
3k93m93ld5Q55W65P1b8od362c6fe050513ce.jpg

$350.00
7HP WHEELHORSE TRAILBLAZER W/ELECTRIC START TWO STAGE 24''
(No pics)

$350.00
SNAPPER SNOW BLOWER FOR SALE 6 Hp 22 Inch Wide two stage
3k93m53p25V15T55W4b8e78212d879a5517fd.jpg
3k33oc3lf5O45Q65X1b8eb5ccde3d10fc18a1.jpg

$350.00
7HP Ariens (no other details, except that seller says it works perfectly)

$350.00
MTD 8HP snowblower
3na3m83oe5Z35W45U5b86289e04ace78a1227.jpg
3ne3m43o85O25U15X2b86cce11a292df81495.jpg

$300.00
Sears 8HP snow blower. Electric start.

3nb3k03l75V25O65U2b8c1c420f20281a1a24.jpg
3nc3oc3l85Z65Q25X3b8c11d7c8d99462121c.jpg

$250.00
7HP Simplicity Snow Blower Model #755. Electric start - 22inch
(No pics)

Last edited:
I would stay clear of Murray. They have been bankrupt for years. Parts are not as available as they used to be.

Look for a used Ariens, really!
I went through Hades 6 yrs ago with new blowers from Sears, 3 bum pieces of junk one after the other, all 3 didn't make it through 1 storm each.
I bought an Ariens the same year and have had zero problems since. For $400 you shouldn't have any problems finding a decent 7HP 2 stage one.

If you want a light single stage, Toro is the way to go. You can probably find a fairly new used 21" SS machine with the venerable 2 cycle engine for under $300.00. If you're looking for a 2 stage machine, I'd definitely lean toward the used Simplicity for $350.00.

The older Simplicity snow blowers were among the best domestics made. Personally, I think they are the best of the domestics with Ariens and Toro a close second.

Bought a single stage 5 HP, 4 cycle 5 year old Craftsman in June of this year for $75 after seeing an ad in a free Metro newspaper .
A month before that in May got a 3 HP single stage, 2 cycle Craftsmen for $60 at an estate sale because it wouldn't start, they also threw in a gas can. The spark plug wire was off, under the plastic housing, put it on and it ran OK.
I have a 8HP Craftsman and it runs OK BUT I will never buy a new Craftsman again. I'll buy ARIENS.
In the past you could always buy repair parts at SEARS or it's local repair facility but no more. Now you have to order online and pay shipping cost. Ariens/Toro parts can be bought at many places locally.

Last edited:
Ariens are very nice. Lots of Toros around here; it snows but people are poor and they show good value.

I would look up ahead of time how to get age from serial numbers. 1990 and newer would be a plus: carbs resistant to ethanol, electronic ignition, safety stuff (though that could be a minus: my toro interlocks gave me grief.)

You run the risk, in summer, of getting a cold blooded machine that doesn't run well in winter, or one with issues that show up under load with the wheel drive or the auger.

Either your market is nuts or you seem to be wanting to pay $350 or more; more money does not mean better quality. If you watch this labor day weekends yard sales you might find someone moving to florida to retire. When you search craigslist, do .org/sss for "everything" as this includes yard sales, tools, garden... snowblowers are hard to fit in one category.

If you have any skill at all you can get a broken machine with a bad engine and a new engine from harbor freight for ~$100. The older ones have more metal and are better built. Swapping an engine is extremely easy; the only hard part is finding and buying a pulley if the engine shafts are different sizes but mcmaster carr has those.

Had an expensive Ariens. Piece of [censored]. Always clogging. Snapping the brass auger connector under load constantly. After it blew a head gasket during a storm I ran off and bought a $400 24" MTD Yardmaster trac drive 5hp at HD. Unstoppable for over 10 years now. I go over my neighbors every year in a big snowstorms - he's got the broom out trying to clear the fancy craftsman chute and auger. I do the end, all around his craftsman, leaving him in a tiny area of snow - and hes still stuck. MTD's are popping up all over the neighborhood cause they've been watching me beat on that thing year after year.

Whatever you get - Spray it down with tire shine. Keeps it from rusting, makes the auger a non-stick. Drop some mmo in the plug hole and use sta-bil fuel stabilizer in the off season.

PS Look at the pics above - the MTD 8HP snow blower. Notice the auger is not only wide, its tall. I think that's the reason my MTD doesn't clog when more expensive models do.

Last edited:
Might pay more than I wanted initially and go for this:

Ariens Compact 2-Stage 22 in. Gas Snow Blower

564532dc-49dd-40fb-92cc-9c2c48a01e6f_300.jpg

Home Depot charges $829.00, but I can get one elsewhere for $600.00 even.

208 cc Ariens OHV engine offers snow-devouring power
22 in. clearance width and 20 in. intake height to efficiently clear driveways, sidewalks and patios in minimal passes
6 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds let you adjust snow throwing to accommodate different conditions
11 in. steel serrated augers power through thick snow banks and drive snow into the blowing house unit for discharge
Discharges snow up to 40 ft. for enhanced clearance
205-degree quick-turn chute with manual deflector allows you to direct snow discharge to exactly where you want it
120-volt electric push-button start provides a quick and easy start
Pin-lock axle offers the option of 2-wheel drive for heavy snow or 1-wheel drive for maneuverability
Dual-handle interlock system maintains operator safety while allowing for convenient chute and speed adjustments
Folding tubular steel handlebars allow for compact off-season storage
12 in. three-blade impeller powerfully discharges and throws snow
Reversible skid shoes enable the height adjustment of the blower housing to accommodate uneven surfaces
Heavy-duty cast iron gear case with alloy steel gears and L-3 synthetic severe-duty gear oil provides continuous reliability and a longer gear life
Rust resistant for long-term use
MFG Brand Name : Ariens
MFG Model # : 920013
MFG Part # : 920013

if you are not in a hurry , i would check the estate and garage sales section of craigslist. This is a good time to buy from an estate, moving sale, or garage sale.Get on estatesales.net for michigan. very good sales .
These will not always list a price so you can make low offers on good machines.

The 2 stage craftsman , ariens , and hondas are good .
I got another craftsman off freecycle because it would not run
It took me less than 10 minutes to take the jet out and clean it. sold it for $100.

After very extensive research, I ordered a single stage 2-stroke Toro 221QE (141cc R*Tek engine) (was lucky to still find one new).

Going to be using Amsoil HP Injector, and Lucas Safeguard Ethanol fuel conditioner to deal with the E10 (unavoidable here without driving 60+ miles).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Darkfire
After very extensive research, I ordered a single stage 2-stroke Toro 221QE (141cc R*Tek engine) (was lucky to still find one new).

Going to be using Amsoil HP Injector, and Lucas Safeguard Ethanol fuel conditioner to deal with the E10 (unavoidable here without driving 60+ miles).

Good choice. Probably the best SS machine made. I bought one brand new last January for a good price. Since buying it, I only used my Simplicity 9/28 once. The Toro 221 is a very capable machine and will handle all but the heaviest snow falls.

If you haven't done so, get your hands on a small electronic tachometer to confirm your engine speed. I believe that engine rpm is supposed to be between 4000 - 4100. Mine was set at 3700. The correct rpm will make quite a difference in power. However, if you go past 4100 rpm, the machine becomes a bit of a handful to keep up with and control.

Trying to keep it around $400 or less, trying to get something that isn't a piece of garbage in that price range if that's possible.

Application: One driveway (paved, 1 car width, about 55-60ft) and a path that is on grass.

Toro Power Clear 180 (18") 87cc Single-Stage Snow Blower

Murray 1695537 21-Inch 190cc 4-Cycle OHV Briggs & Stratton

Poulan Pro PR621 21-Inch 208cc LCT Gas Powered Single Stage Snow Thrower

Mtd Products Inc 179Cc 21' Snow Thrower

Yard Machines 31A-2M1A700 21-Inch 123cc OHV 4-Cycle

Thanks for your recommendations in advance.

I personally would not waste my $ on any one of those. Ariens is the best made from my 30+ yrs of experience up here is da U.P. near Lake Superior. I have run my Areins for hours and hours and never had a problem. I seen neighbors buy the cheaper brands and 5 yrs later, they are in the junk heap while my 10 yo 13hp Ariens still runs like new. Then they come to me and say, When you buying a new one so I can buy yours?

Way to go!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back