What smoker to get charcoal or electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I'm debating on a smoker, I'm looking at a cheap one Gourmet smoker pictured bellow you know the one thats been around forever, Ive never owned this model.

What I'm debating is electric vs charcoal, size isn't an issue, dint need anything big, and want it cheap within reason you get what you pay for, but usable and reliable preferably made in the USA if its even possible.

Ive never used this model, electric would be nice not sure if they work well, also would be useless after a hurricane, but then I do have a kettle cooker and gas grill, so guess it doesn't matter as far as that just the way they work.

Any pros and cons would be appreciated.
039953501883md.jpg

Last edited:
I have this same model using charcoal.
It's hard to maintain the proper temp and if it's windy you won't be able to at all.

I've gor a charcoal version of that (Brinkman), and I wish my better half had never shelled out the $300 for it (I was researching, and she saw this one locally and bought it sans research).

Had to modify it to get it to work (drilled breather holes in the fireboxes to allow the fire to breathe, installed a stainless vegetable steamer to allow the air to get under the coals, and drilled some holes in the lid to allow the smoke to pass around the food rather than out the periphery of the lid).

As QuOk says, the temperature is never right (position of the sun and breezes will change temperature markedly).

Gets reasonable results, and can be run as a drier/smoker when making jerky (a trail of synthetic briquettes run around the firebox will keep only a half dozen going for hours).

I have two Weber Smokey Mountain 2820 smokers. Its the best Ive ever found. Been using one of them for about 15 years and bought another 3 years ago. They maintain the temp all night long. Both get used really often by me or my drivers who borrow them often on the week ends. They however are not cheap, but you only buy them once. These smokers are tougher than a hogs nose.

I've noticed a big difference in quality (steel thickness and coating quality/thickness) between the webers and all others, weber being noticeably superior.

Totally agree on the Brinkman - useless with charcoal. I adapted mine for electrical usage. Made a new base. Hot plate, cast iron pan for wood chips. Too small though.

Buddy has a large smoker made from an aluminum generator enclosure. Works grand. I have thought about doing the same...

Or getting an indirect heat real smoker. On a trailer. Or 1/3 of the garage.

I purchased a gas smoker, got it for $100 at Walmart. I think electric is better, the gas smoker has too much air circulation for combustion reasons, so you lose a lot of smoke and heat and use lots of gas in the process, like Pablo I could convert to electric and close off the vents. Thanks for all the imput.

I also have a Weber Smokey Mountain. It's the cheapest smoker I would consider. It have a nice forum of enthusiasts and can cook plenty of food. I've had mine about two years and it always produces good tasting Q.

I just finished putting 15 pounds of pork ribs in my Bradley Original about 30 minutes ago. After setting the Aubrens Instruments PID to 205 degrees I loaded it with mesquite, and walked away until around 1:00 this afternoon when I'll check the temperature.

If they are done at 1:00 I'll FTC them until around 5:00 when everyone will be here. At that time I'll pull them out of the cooler, and for those who want BBQ sauce they'll go onto the grill for a few minutes.

The Bradley is about as good as they come. I've used it on windy days, and on days when the outside temperature is less than 20 degrees. I've never had a problem with mine, but on the Bradley discussion forums those few who have had a problem had great service from Bradley. I smoke something in my Bradley at least once a week, often twice a week.

If something were to happen to my current Bradley Original, I'd buy another in a heartbeat without considering any others.

My brother out West has an electric smoker, dunno the brand or model. He's had it for several years & still loves it. He smokes their Thanksgiving & Christmas turkeys every year, & throughout the year chickens, hams, turkey legs, lotsa stuff. He had a charcoal model before & rarely used it, says the electric is much easier to use & clean up, easier to keep up a good steady smoke too. I know that he'd tell you, in a hearbeat, to go Electric for a smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back