What size Jack Stands do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a half dozen or so 2 ton ones.

Considering that none of the vehicles I work on weighs that much(and most are less) and a single stand is not going to support more than half the car(generally just 1/4), I've never been worried about their durability or stability. I still have more than a 50% margin over their design weight, and they're significantly easier both to move around and work around when they are supporting the car.

I admit that I've looked at some 6 ton stands a few times for the times when I need to get a car up REALLY high, but that would be my main argument for them. At this point, I don't have a jack that would lift anything up high enough to take advantage of the extra height.

Someone else mentioned that on modern cars, it can be enough of a challenge to find both a jacking point and then a place to put a jack stand on the same corner of the car.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Wood blocks... 6 by 6 and a 4 by 4... Salt treated. Very effective.

I need to dig around and get some of those. 4x6x12 would make for a good one. I have a stack of 2x8's that I use but sometimes I look at how wobbly they are while stacking them to height and wonder about it. Still. Cheap to make and spread out the force over a large area.

Right or wrong, I use them under the "frame" that a unibody has. You know, the channel that they make to give it strength. I have not seen issues with this (yet).

I have a 3-ton floor jack and two pairs of 3-ton jack stands. None of my vehicles are heavy so this works fine for now.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by bbhero
Wood blocks... 6 by 6 and a 4 by 4... Salt treated. Very effective.

I need to dig around and get some of those. 4x6x12 would make for a good one. I have a stack of 2x8's that I use but sometimes I look at how wobbly they are while stacking them to height and wonder about it. Still. Cheap to make and spread out the force over a large area.

Right or wrong, I use them under the "frame" that a unibody has. You know, the channel that they make to give it strength. I have not seen issues with this (yet).

Yeah I just replaced my 6 by 6 salt treated piece the other day... The last one was getting really light and had some cracks in it. Not that it was bad... It was not severely cracked. But it was time to get a new one. The new one is heavy and zero cracks. It should be good for quite a while.

I have 35 inch long arms so I can reach a long way under a vehicle without being underneath it really. I can reach my drain plug fairly easily which is helpful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back