What size Jack Stands do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1

What size jack stands do you normally use?

I have a pair of 2 ton and 3 ton jack stands. I Picked up the Daytona 3 ton jack which has a maximum lifting height of 23-1/8 in.

Got me looking at 6 ton jack stands. I picked up a used pair on Kijiji, but I need a second pair. I know most of the time a small pair of jack stands is good enough.

I have 3 ton and 6 ton jack stands. Unless I need to get something really high up I use the 3 ton stands. The 6 ton stands are pretty wide, and if it's just for a tire rotation or a brake job the 3 ton stands are fine.

I bought a pair of 2 ton jack stands at Napa for $17. I have a much beefier and heavier 6 ton jack stands I bought used.

I use my 6 ton stands where they will fit, and where I can get use out of their higher extension (~24") compared to my 3 tons stands (~17"). Granted I don't extend either up to their last height notch so there is more purchase on the shaft for stability.

I don't have an especially high lift jack so sometimes I can put a block of wood (or I could break down and buy a proper extension for it) on its saddle to get more lift to use the 6 ton, but this is not always practical nor needed.

Cars doing wheel work, 3 ton is enough. Trucks and SUVs, depends on the wheel/tire size. Working under any vehicle, I really like having a few more inches of clearance using the 6 ton. Often I could put the vehicle up on ramps but prefer to use the jack stands.

If I had to own only one pair, it would be 6 ton for trucks and SUVs (real ones not slightly higher riding unibody station wagons), 3 ton for cars.

I also have some stray little 2 ton that I sometimes use on a riding mower and not much else.

I use these Safe Jack stands that lets you lift at the same point you put the stand.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Originally Posted by atikovi
I use these Safe Jack stands that lets you lift at the same point you put the stand.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

These look nice, where did you get them?

I have four 3 ton jack stands and four 6 ton jack stands. I also have a very nice jack I got at Harbor Freight, a Daytona 3 Ton Long Reach Low Profile Professional Floor Jack.
[Linked Image]

25 Ton house jack as a back up jack stand can never be too safe
smile.gif

you have to use some strong wood to prevent damage though but other wise it's a good choice

how can you trust those paper thin jack stands?

abe9ad1f824097da57a82955d024afc2.jpg

Last edited:
With the cars all being built the way they are today you almost need one of those gadgets because there's no place solid to put a stand besides where the jack is.. You need a low profile jack too unless you like driving up on 2x4s every time you want to work on something. They just keep getting harder to work on all the time...¡

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
25 Ton house jack as a back up jack stand can never be too safe
smile.gif

you have to use some strong wood to prevent damage though but other wise it's a good choice

how can you trust those paper thin jack stands?

I've used automotive jack stands for decades without incident, Not really sure what point you're trying to make? Though you are paranoid enough to think someone is stealing your gas!

Last edited:
bbhero said:
Wood blocks... 6 by 6 and a 4 by 4... Salt treated. Very effective. [/quote

Yup. Used properly they are far more stable and don't tend to slip or kick out like steel on steel. The trouble is finding enough meaty areas to set them and the jack. Modern cars🙄🙄🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back