What should I check before I go up MT Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
in NH which is the next state over from me. I know I just had new rotors and pads put on a couple weeks ago. I also just below 3000 on this oil change I know my tires are all good. It has a manual transmission too. What else should I check?

Would high octane gas in the tank help the engine run smother with thin air?

And when the air is thin the radiator has fewer air molecules moving past the surfaces used to exchange heat, so a marginal cooling system may not cool enough when the air is thin.

I tested the coolant with one of those peak coolant testers and it tested the highest hot temp and the coldest temp that was on there. I know I haven't ever had any cooling system problems with it at all.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

Thin air means you can use LOWER octane fuel. Since the external air pressure is lower than sea level, the pressure in the cylinder after compression is also lower and therefore cooler, so less chance of detonation.

Over the years I have seen tons of beaters with those "This car climbed Mount Washington" bumper stickers,if they made it up,you can make it up.

And when the air is thin the radiator has fewer air molecules moving past the surfaces used to exchange heat, so a marginal cooling system may not cool enough when the air is thin.

NOrmally, high altitude gas is LOWER in octane. It is not needed with thin air. A turbocharged vehicle's need should remain the same.

The air gets cooler up at the summit. Bring a windbreaker at least even mid summer. This will help with potential overheating too. Just make sure your radiator fan comes on; if you never get stuck in traffic in Vermont the motor bearings might freeze up over the winter.

They pretty much make you drive down in first gear, if not by their rules, by the lap traffic. Cars with no manual first (like automatic saturn s series) are banned! If your passengers don't like hairpin turns, get them some Dramamine.

Hiked it several times, never driven a car up it...

But, I would want a strong cooling system (including electric fan) going up and good brakes going down.

You'll be going slow up and down...way slow...

You must stay in 1st on the way down...no brake system could take the constant heating of that road...

And at roughly 6,000 feet, there is not a huge difference in air density...if the car would do OK in Denver, it will do OK at the altitudes of Mount Washington. The real issue is grade: it's steep going up and steep coming down...

6,288ft but feels much, much higher. Originally a MASShole and use to make the 6 hour treck from my home to pinkham Notch 12 times a year usually between Nov (Ice season in Tucks) and May.

Your car will be fine as long as your brakes are good. There are a few turn offs to cool down if you need to. Toward the top on the right is Mt. Jefferson. My fav winter Mt. Don't be afraid to take a hike to it's summit. It not that far, just crossing a col thats called Mt Clay.

Enjoy my friend! If you get a clear day you can see to the ocean.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Thin air means you can use LOWER octane fuel. Since the external air pressure is lower than sea level, the pressure in the cylinder after compression is also lower and therefore cooler, so less chance of detonation.

I agree! alot of people dont get the octane thing. Not saying OP does or doesnt but up there you could also have the potential to run a hair rich compared to were you are so thats another point for cooler running. Rich=cooler lean=hotter

Id say Check oil level and for huge just started leaks and make sure tire pressure is perfect=better fuel mileage, and just dont rag on your car. Ive figured out problems or created them after doing 100 on the highway instead of short tripping around town for years. Not saying it will happen but it seems to with my bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back