What`s the Holy Grail of additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I like Lubro Moly. It is an additive that you actually ADD to the oil.
Cheap and wonderful.

^^^X2 cheap and found at NAPA...

also SLOB!(glad i got a good stash yet)

Engine oils have a variety of additives carefully balanced to work well as a team, so I could never say which one is the holy grail of additives.

Adding Lubo Moly is not 'outguessing' anybody.
It works, your engine is smoother and more powerful, and wears slower.

Engineer's oil additive recommendations are castrated by the manufacturing cost blanket over the product. They are working with artificial parameters. So most street oils are not the best an engineer can come up with.
There are a few oils that are expensive and loaded, but you PAY for them!

It works, your engine is smoother and more powerful, and wears slower.

The first is subjective, the other two require proof.

jeff

I disagree. There's simply no guarantee that additives won't have some sort of interaction with the additives in your motor oil.

Engineer's oil additive recommendations are castrated by the manufacturing cost blanket over the product. They are working with artificial parameters. So most street oils are not the best an engineer can come up with.
There are a few oils that are expensive and loaded, but you PAY for them!

Cost is certainly a concern for additive companies, as are other factors. But I've seen zero evidence that more expensive oils which are "loaded" offer better protection or performance in a regular passenger car.

Quote:
What`s the Holy Grail of additives?

Quote:
What`s the end all-be all *best* anti wear additive in motor oil?

You asked two different questions. I was responding to the latest additive category in fully formulated oils such as GF-5, and not Third-Party additives purchased OTC.

IMHO, the best all-around anti-wear additive and anti-oxidant is still ZDDP, with Boron esters coming in second, which is why you see ZDDP being reduced and Boron increasing.

Last edited:
snakeoil553.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back