What`s the best highway/touring tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for your very informative and educational posts! I`m very tire-ignorant and know nada about tires. Now I have 4 good tires to choose from......Michelin Pilot,Dunlop,Yokohama AVID V45,and the Goodyear Tripletreads.

GC4lunch......I totally understand the dilemma you were in. I was cruising up HWY 6 one evening. It was on a 2 lane stretch and I was the only car on the road. I noticed a small dark object in the middle of the highway. I get closer and it`s a puppy! Right as I was what seemed like inches away from him he casually got up and started walking in front of me. I hit the brake and steered around him (man Z`s ride like they`re on rails! Also a huge amen to ABS). I was tempted to turn around,get him,and take him home with me. But,someone probably would`ve missed him very bad.

Thanks again everyone!
cheers.gif

A tire that I have on my Mazda Millenia that Im verry happy with is the Bridgestone Potenza G009. I am happy with their performance in the wet and not to bad in the snow.

Quote:

A tire that I have on my Mazda Millenia that Im verry happy with is the Bridgestone Potenza G009. I am happy with their performance in the wet and not to bad in the snow.

I have that same tire, but only 7k miles on the set so I have no idea how they will stand up. For the desert southwest they have a more aggressive tread pattern than I really need, but I thought I'd give them a try. So far, so good.

Quote:

I've been extremely happy with my Fuzion HRi's. Tire rack had them quite cheap and they ride/handle beautifully

My winter tire for my WRX. When my summer tires are replaced (next March) I'm going to try the ZR1's. Only trouble whith the HRi's, is that they seem to "squirm" compared to the Nitto 450's (the dealer had installed these and aftermarket wheels before they put it on the showroom). In defense of the HRi's, they dig like a bear in the snow! RP
grin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...In defense of the HRi's, they dig like a bear in the snow! RP
grin.gif

How are the HRi's on the ice?

Probably lousy. Didn't have much ice last winter. Also they are not dedicated winter tires. Just "good" all-seasons for Michigan. For the most part, Michigan roads are clear. Only slippery right after a storm. Dedicated snowys wear down quickly on dry pavement. Blizzaks would be great for packed snow and ice, but too pricy for my use. RP

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

...In defense of the HRi's, they dig like a bear in the snow! RP
grin.gif

How are the HRi's on the ice?

Probably lousy. Didn't have much ice last winter. Also they are not dedicated winter tires. Just "good" all-seasons for Michigan. For the most part, Michigan roads are clear. Only slippery right after a storm. Dedicated snowys wear down quickly on dry pavement. Blizzaks would be great for packed snow and ice, but too pricy for my use. RP

Thanks, I had Michelin and Dunlop winter tires on this car b4. But now run Kumho ASX all season and looking for a bit more life and ice/snow grip for my next tire. Looking at the Fuzion VRi which is the HRi with stiffer side wall. HRi tread design looks like the Dunlop M3 which is an amazing winter tire I have on the wife's car. May explain the good bite in the snow for the HRi. Plus, it is good to be non-directional in my book.

From where you live, I'm guessing that you don't see a whole lot of rain, nor any snow. My personal criteria, for this part of the country, is good wet grip first, then good snow grip, and finally, good dry grip.
Now, alomost any tire you could possibly put on your Z will offer more dry grip than you are ever likely to need. Therefore, try to select a tire based upon the quality of its breakaway. A tire that has a wide band of disengagement, that gives pleanty of warning before finally letting go, and that reacts gently to your steering corrections is what you should be seeking. Ultimate dry grip is not all that valuable in a street driven car.
I think you are on the right track looking for decent ride quality and quietness. Both qualities tend to be found in moderate performance tires, which are likely to have soft and gentle handling characteristics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back