What retailer has the best tool combo kit?

I agree. I like Kobalt and Craftsman all the Craftsman I’ve looked at recently in the last few months has been Taiwan and USA with global materials so it’s definitely not that China stuff they had out for awhile.
Yes...Craftsman have been solid for the past year or two. I had not bought any since the 90s and was surprised at how solid they are. Unfortunately some of their offerings are less than acceptable though, so you really need to see/feel them in person before buying.

Yes...Craftsman have been solid for the past year or two. I had not bought any since the 90s and was surprised at how solid they are. Unfortunately some of their offerings are less than acceptable though, so you really need to see/feel them in person before buying.
I agree. I have one or two of the new Taiwan socket they aren’t bad. The old China ones though ehh typical China tool chrome peeling and feel cheap and are wallowing out on the drive end. I like my USA stuff best though.

I agree. I have one or two of the new Taiwan socket they aren’t bad. The old China ones though ehh typical China tool chrome peeling and feel cheap and are wallowing out on the drive end. I like my USA stuff best though.
If the China tools wallow out or otherwise wear prematurely, you should be able to return them for replacement with the newer stuff.

If the China tools wallow out or otherwise wear prematurely, you should be able to return them for replacement with the newer stuff.
Yeah. My Lowe’s sucks and won’t warranty anything so I go thru Craftsman directly like last time. I’ve been waiting awhile to ask for replacements for those because I don’t want them to think I’m just trying to get free tools or something since they don’t even ask for pictures.

Home Depot had a giant set on sale in a case for BF. $99 for like 500 pieces. Husky.

I’ve still seen them around in store.

I’d get a decent bag and piece stuff together. Won’t be local though. A one size fits all is hard to do.

GearWrench ratchets, Tekton, GW, or Capri sockets, Capri or used Snap On combination wrenches, old stock US made Craftsman nut drivers, Bondhus hex wrenches, Channellock or Klein pliers, Klein or PB Swiss screwdrivers.

*Do you SAE or metric? Toro has a great buy on Tekton socket sets with extensions and ratchets. Either all metric or SAE. Shallow and deep well. No skipped sizes and in a blow mold case. Should save some space if you don’t need one or the other.

So I got the costco dewalt tools but also ordered the kit Trav posted for future use. I needed something to put in my trailer for emergencies.

I'm leaving on a ~3000 mile trip today hence the quickness. Lack of planning on my part :(

Thanks to everyone who replied

Autozone Duralast. I have an earlier version of this one, sometimes it can be had for under $100:

I also like the Kobalt/Craftsman set: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-232-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-in-3-Drawer-Chest/5000183119

The Autozone set is all made in Taiwan, they have been very good.

All the Kobalt stuff I have is also Taiwan, that's fine. I am pretty sure the Craftsman and Kobalt sets are sourced by Black and Decker from TW anyhow.

So I got the costco dewalt tools but also ordered the kit Trav posted for future use. I needed something to put in my trailer for emergencies.

I'm leaving on a ~3000 mile trip today hence the quickness. Lack of planning on my part :(

Thanks to everyone who replied

In that case, the HF breaker bar is a good must have IMO. It’s like $13.

The stuff I have seen at lowes and Ace hardware are not very good. Some sockets were broached off center, the wrenches were poorly finished, the ratchets feel unrefined and even if made in Taiwan it does not necessarily make them better quality, they manufacture some poor quality stuff as well as having some higher end manufacturers.
Snap on use one of the best ones for their Blue Point, Williams, Bahco and other lines, the quality is good to very good.

Harbor Freight has the 301 piece tool kit for $200 ($159 with 20% off coupon) and the 225 piece tool kit for $135($108 with 20% off coupon) everyday.

I have the 301 piece tool kit and it has a lot of tools. Granted this thing is heavy.

Back