What retailer has the best tool combo kit?

I need to get a toolkit today that has sockets, drivers and box wrenches so I am stuck going to the local retail places.
I have Costco, Sams, HD, Lowes and HF.

I would like as decent a kit as I can get. I know I can get the correct answer here. Thanks

Go to all the stores and see what they might have. Lowes has the most I think. Buy what looks good and go home and decide which ones to return. HD has a pretty small section for that type of tool set, Costco the same, maybe one set, HF don't know what sets they have, and Sams have no idea.

I would love that kit, but I need to get this today so it needs to be available retail.
What tools do you need today? Is there the chance you could just get what you need and get the set online?
The problem is most of the big box stores are selling real crap, Kobalt used to be decent but now a lot of it is Chines and worse India, Crapsman has gone down the tubes and HD has very little.

You could cobble a set together at HF and buy a tool bag or small box.

Sams Club has a really nice Channellock kit my friend uses it for his emergency kit it’s pretty nice stuff. Has sockets, a few wrenches, ratchets and a screwdriver handle with bits. I have some of the Channellock sockets and they aren’t bad quality maybe worth looking at. Also Kobalt at Lowe’s too they have a $99 kit that has tons of sockets and wrenches in it with ratchets, wrenches and screwdriver handle with bits and Allen wrenches.

What tools do you need today? Is there the chance you could just get what you need and get the set online?
The problem is most of the big box stores are selling real crap, Kobalt used to be decent but now a lot of it is Chines and worse India, Crapsman has gone down the tubes and HD has very little.

You could cobble a set together at HF and buy a tool bag or small box.
Really Kobalt is China now? The last sockets I bought from them as some fill ins were Taiwan. The pliers set my mom bought me last year was China I thought it was just the pliers and screwdrivers that were China now.

The Dewalt tool sets get decent reviews at the GarageJournal forum. All 6 point sockets and not too many fillers.

You will need to add screwdrivers. Maybe check out Harbor Freight. NAPA Carlyle if you have deep pockets.

This might get you through your project without costing you too much. You could then take your time and get what you really want later. Around $40 at Walmart.
Screenshot_20201230-105351_Gallery.jpg

I vote cheapo set and then order what you want. Give away the cheapo set when the good stuff arrives. Or just put together one. Then you can pick and choose the quality level (maybe you "never" use a particular tool, but want one just in case--so buy the cheaper version--but don't skimp on the ratchet).

What is the kit for? For years I had no use for SAE tools. If it was just to service one car, you could select decent metric and go from there.

Really Kobalt is China now? The last sockets I bought from them as some fill ins were Taiwan. The pliers set my mom bought me last year was China I thought it was just the pliers and screwdrivers that were China now.
I am sure some of it is made in Taiwan but I have seen Chicom and India also especially since they took Crapsman on.

Don't laugh. People have done a lot of good work with less.
Oh I know I was laughing as a joke because that’s the same set my friend started out with and he broke a socket from it and ran over the rest of the set with his truck lol. Absolutely nothing wrong with that set yes it may not be the quality of the others but it should work for occasional use for sure and around the house.

This might get you through your project without costing you too much. You could then take your time and get what you really want later. Around $40 at Walmart.
I'm not critiquing you for posting this, but am critiquing Walmart or "Hyper Tough" for this tool kit. It really looks like they just threw random tools in there and then they advertise "1xx piece tool set", down to counting each driver bit as a "piece" (yes, I know, they all do that anyway).

Is that two different utility knives ? Scissors, a random spark plug socket, a roll of electrical tape, etc... :rolleyes:

Others above poo poo the newer Craftsman tools but I actually like them. They are not Snap On or similar, but IME most of their items have worked as well or better than several other entry-level brands (Husky, Kobalt). Other items not so much, but they are easy to return if they don't suit one's needs. Regardless, I think the regular Craftsman price is a bit salty so I would favor a different brand unless Lowes or Sears has them on sale.

The HF warranty is good (easy replacement at store) and you can always get them for 20% off so I would lean that way...they have several tool kits for <$40 that may meet your needs. I would not get Kobalt, as their recent offerings (@ Lowes) are pretty sparse and not particularly robust.

Others above poo poo the newer Craftsman tools but I actually like them. They are not Snap On or similar, but IME most of their items have worked as well or better than several other entry-level brands (Husky, Kobalt). Other items not so much, but they are easy to return if they don't suit one's needs. Regardless, I think the regular Craftsman price is a bit salty so I would favor a different brand unless Lowes or Sears has them on sale.

The HF warranty is good (easy replacement at store) and you can always get them for 20% off so I would lean that way...they have several tool kits for
I agree. I like Kobalt and Craftsman all the Craftsman I’ve looked at recently in the last few months has been Taiwan and USA with global materials so it’s definitely not that China stuff they had out for awhile.

Back