What powers the ac compressor on an electric vehicle?

So it's just a separate motor that turns on everytime you turn on the ac?
You got it, Pontiac!
1713477878320.jpg

The AC on the Corolla Hybrid I once owned was really good. Not the typical small car sucky AC. The engine would shut off at a stop light and when the car was driven by the electric motor. The AC ran regardless if the gas engine was running or not.

There is an unadvertised remote start trick you can do on a Corolla Hybrid. You press the lock button twice, then hold down on the lock button on the third time until the car starts. It'll run whatever the last setting was for the HVAC. The AC will run off the hybrid battery. It shuts off at 10 minutes and shuts off when you unlock the door(s) to get in the car. Really nice on a hot day if you need to run in a store real quick.

It's an electric motor that runs off the battery when the ICE is off. Many of the hybrids are moving to electric AC, oil pumps, water pumps, and steering. These work when the ICE is off and they are variable output based on demand making them more efficient.

Yep. Separate motor. It also uses fans for the condenser like any other car. It sounds nearly like a quiet ICE car running when the A/C is on.

In cars with start stop buttons. Does the air conditioning turn off when the car comes to a stop?
My antique Insight did, the assumption was that the fan over the cold AC coils was good enough to keep you cool the <5 min you are normally stopped.

Once any of a variety of different parameters was hit the motor could restart even in estop and ac would start again

In cars with start stop buttons. Does the air conditioning turn off when the car comes to a stop?
In my ford, the fan will gradually ramp speed down so that there is air moving, but as the coil starts to warm the fan slows so it’s still blowing something cool. It starts about 5 seconds after you think your comfort-sensitive spouse has started biting her tongue but doesn’t say anything. It varies the rate and timing based on who-knows-what…. Interior temp? Exterior temp? So the timing varies much but the 5 second rule is always spot-on. Good math, whoever figured it out.

I put a paper clip in the a/ss switch and avoid that anxiety now.

Kind of. The compressor doesn't continue to turn on my VW, so you feel the air get a bit warmer out of the vent if the car decides to shut the engine down.

I'm sure many modern cars and hybrids in particular use a separate motor like EVs.

when i first bought the Cmax, and learned how things worked, whenever folks complained about a squeaky belt/pulley in their car, I'd pipe up that i don't have to worry about any of that, my car doesn't have any belts...
Electric A/C, Electric power steering, Electric Water Pump(s) "but what about the alternator?" doesn't have one, one of the electric motors is clutched to the crank, and acts as both starter and generator....

In my ford, the fan will gradually ramp speed down so that there is air moving, but as the coil starts to warm the fan slows so it’s still blowing something cool. It starts about 5 seconds after you think your comfort-sensitive spouse has started biting her tongue but doesn’t say anything. It varies the rate and timing based on who-knows-what…. Interior temp? Exterior temp? So the timing varies much but the 5 second rule is always spot-on. Good math, whoever figured it out.

lmao

You'll have to explain the paper clip thing. Is there a process to bypass the auto start stop by using the paperclip as a jumper?

I'm just not a fan of how rough the feature feels in my GTI. It doesn't feel like the fast starters that many are using to soften the feel of the feature so I usually just press the button after starting the car to interrupt it. I would have thought as much effort as VW put into the Golf to make it feel more upscale than its price point that they would have done something to improve the auto start stop experience.

I have the OBDeleven programmer that would allow me to shut the feature off, but from what I've read it disables the feature by inducing a code to tell the car to keep charging the battery that leaves a warning message in the car. I haven't tested this out yet because I'm my concern about what it is actually doing.

Back