A/C Compressor quit during recharge, why?

This is really odd. Today in my own car I pulled the mg clutch fuse, inspected the fuse and put it back. Voila, ac starts working. Later I check the cabin air filter. Dirty. So I replace it. Now I've got cold ac. Keeps me cool in 90 degree weather.

I'm an ac whisperer or something.

This is really odd. Today in my own car I pulled the mg clutch fuse, inspected the fuse and put it back. Voila, ac starts working. Later I check the cabin air filter. Dirty. So I replace it. Now I've got cold ac. Keeps me cool in 90 degree weather.

Probably overcharged. Depending on ambient temp, sometimes it is enough to trip the cut off switch?

I was given this car last March with no working ac. It's a miracle
You ever hear the expression quit while your ahead 🧐

And I say this just coming in from topping off the xB with refrigerant, and getting a little refrigerant on my hand 😭
It's 90° out and I'm getting 40° out the vents, learn to walk away 🚶‍♂️

Remember the PPE when working on A/C
I had the goggles but forgot the gloves 🙄

Last edited:
It's hot for hampton roads summers.

Could you be as nice as to explain to me what ambient temp has something to do with ac suddenly working?
1718767455496.jpeg

It's hot for hampton roads summers.

Could you be as nice as to explain to me what ambient temp has something to do with ac suddenly working?
the high side pressure will go up and down depending on the ambient temps. It can change quite a bit. If it gets too high it may vent refrigerant,the high side switch may turn off the compressor etc.

The high side pressure really ramps up over 100F. Thats why a real guage set has 2 guages. Charging with only a low side reading is not likely to work as You need a high side reading to know when its properly charged.

Thank you. Seems to mean I had low pressure and the heat wave is expanding the freon molecules which is causing higher pressure?

I'll keep my appointment and refrain from using ac as it's poised to get hotter between now and then.
I don't think the explanation (incorrect level of charge + ambient temperature changes) matches the symptoms (sometimes it works great, sometimes it doesn't work at all). I think you might have a different problem.

About 2 weeks ago I went with my aunt to grab an ac recharge kit. Her husband went to charge it, he got it to the bottom of the green area and gave a few more taps and suddenly the ac compressor stopped functioning, as did the gauge on the freon.

No ac, compressor shot while following directions. makes me afraid to recharge my ac which it desperately needs.

I have a hard time believing it was overcharged. Any ideas?

I was given this car last March with no working ac. It's a miracle
Thank you. Seems to mean I had low pressure and the heat wave is expanding the freon molecules which is causing higher pressure?

I'll keep my appointment and refrain from using ac as it's poised to get hotter between now and then.

OP, the way this thread is written is very confusing. Are you talking about two different cars (i.e., your aunt's car where the A/C stopped working 2 weeks ago and your car which has not had A/C since you got it "last March" (2023)?

So, is the appointment with the A/C repair shop for your aunt's car or your car? It would be less confusing by referring to the year and model of each car (e.g., 2020 Accord, 2018 Civic, etc.). Also, I would encourage you to continue using the A/C regularly while awaiting the appointment with the shop. If it doesn't fail/falter before they inspect it, they will likely bill you to say it is operating properly (unless it the refrigerant is too high/low).

OP, the way this thread is written is very confusing. Are you talking about two different cars (i.e., your aunt's car where the A/C stopped working 2 weeks ago and your car which has not had A/C since you got it "last March" (2023)?

So, is the appointment with the A/C repair shop for your aunt's car or your car? It would be less confusing by referring to the year and model of each car (e.g., 2020 Accord, 2018 Civic, etc.). Also, I would encourage you to continue using the A/C regularly while awaiting the appointment with the shop. If it doesn't fail/falter before they inspect it, they will likely bill you to say it is operating properly (unless it the refrigerant is too high/low).
It's for my car. Sorry, I highjacked my own thread

Ac is back to warm again and it's not even hot out in my car. Going to get that recharge done.

Back