What oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about OnStar the other day - it was on that site where I first saw how many actual warranties I had - you sure don't get that from the salesman trying to peddle an aftermarket plan. There I saw how much longer the cats were covered ...
... but wondering if you switched to diesel oil since the main policy was out - would you void cats ...

San Antonio, Texas? Why not SAE 30? May slow consumption a bit and would be ideal for an old school Chevy V8(yes I consider the Vortec 350 to be old school, despite roller cam and fuel injection). Whatever you can get cheapest. Not much on Wal Mart, but Super Tech HD 30 would be a solid choice, or something similar.

Originally Posted By: Red91
San Antonio, Texas? Why not SAE 30? May slow consumption a bit and would be ideal for an old school Chevy V8(yes I consider the Vortec 350 to be old school, despite roller cam and fuel injection). Whatever you can get cheapest. Not much on Wal Mart, but Super Tech HD 30 would be a solid choice, or something similar.

I'm confused now - I thought that lower weights tended to make the oil consumption worse?

SAE 30 is a lot thicker than 5W and 10W-30, plus it's more shear stable than 10W-40. So, really in your climate it would be ideal. Try some liqui moly MoS2 additive too, and the pair should curb your consumption.

SAE 30 is a lot thicker than 5W and 10W-30, plus it's more shear stable than 10W-40. So, really in your climate it would be ideal. Try some liqui moly MoS2 additive too, and the pair should curb your consumption.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I'm "additive" shy though, I'll just try the 30w first.

MoS2 is a good product. If you change your mind, Amazon sells it for a place called Taro racing, usually about 8 bucks a can with free shipping for prime members. Napa also carries it, or can at least get it for you. About 9 bucks from them. Lots of good options for 30 out there, and if zinc and price aren't too much of a concern for you, I'd highly recommend Delo 400 SAE 30.

MoS2 is a good product. If you change your mind, Amazon sells it for a place called Taro racing, usually about 8 bucks a can with free shipping for prime members. Napa also carries it, or can at least get it for you. About 9 bucks from them. Lots of good options for 30 out there, and if zinc and price aren't too much of a concern for you, I'd highly recommend Delo 400 SAE 30.

Is the Delo 400 SAE 30 low, or high on zinc?

And zinc is the cat killer, yes?

What is MoS2?

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Do you have Castrol GTX 10W-40 or 15W-40 in the US? if so that would be my pick since it's fairly thick but doesn't have much zinc in it.

Update: Finally decided, Castrol GTX High Mileage 10W-40, wallymart has them for $18 a jug. And I'll be going with a WIX 51060 oil filter.

Anyone care to recommend an OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back