Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought it:
2002 Chevy 1/2 ton van
5.7L engine
210K miles on it
5w-30 Pennzoil dino in it now
According to original owner, has had either 5w-30 synthetic or dino in it
3K changes with the dino, 7.5K changes on the synthetic.
I haven't looked at the inside of the engine.
Current fill of dino has 1K on it, looks in good condition, I had to add 1/2 qt.
Original owner says it uses about a qt of oil per oil change.
I plan on driving it once a week or so, highway miles, going easy on it.
Van has resided in south Texas it's whole life.
I have all the receipts on everything done on it since new, well maintained.
Seems to have a small leak, but seems like it's the tranny.

What oil do you guys recommend I use?

Valvoline Maxlife 10w30. Dad has a '97 Suburban w/Vortec 350 with 420,000 mi. - no rebuilds and still tight as if it had 100K on it. He's used Maxlife 10w40, but '30 is what I'd use.

I'd switch it over to 10W-40. Those Chevy truck/van engines do better with a little bit thicker oil as per the UOA section. Chevron Supreme or Mobil Super 10W-40 would be good.

I'd be Maxlife too. Or an HDEO like Rotella T6 at that mileage
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'd switch it over to 10W-40. Those Chevy truck/van engines do better with a little bit thicker oil as per the UOA section. Chevron Supreme or Mobil Super 10W-40 would be good.

Please explain - you mean that from looking at the oil analyses, I should be using 10w-40?

The oil consumption would make me nuts. I'd definitely switch to a 10w30 and if it still used oil to a 10w40. Alot of those trucks/vans were in mixed fleets and got a 15w40 oil. I know this site is a thinner oil leaning side, but thick oils font hurt anything in older vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The oil consumption would make me nuts. I'd definitely switch to a 10w30 and if it still used oil to a 10w40. Alot of those trucks/vans were in mixed fleets and got a 15w40 oil. I know this site is a thinner oil leaning side, but thick oils font hurt anything in older vehicles.

I don't know which side I'm on! I know that some engines need the thinner oil to lubricate properly, but whether this engine falls in that category, who knows! I know there has to be *some* wear, how much is anyone's guess.

Maybe a test is in order. I know it's consuming oil at 5w-30 dino - maybe I'll go to a high mileage 10w-40 and see if the oil consumption slows down.

That sound reasonable?

Hi @sasilverbullet - Give us a call at 1-800-BEST-OIL to speak with one of our technicians and we'd be happy to provide you with an oil recommendation based on these specs. - The Shell Rotella Team

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Please explain - you mean that from looking at the oil analyses, I should be using 10w-40?

GM truck V8's - Looking at the UOA's over the years, the wear metals were always less whenever the owner ran a 10W-40 as opposed to a 5W-30. Just an observation.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

GM truck V8's - Looking at the UOA's over the years, the wear metals were always less whenever the owner ran a 10W-40 as opposed to a 5W-30. Just an observation.

Ah, thanks for the explanation, I understand that!

Originally Posted By: ChrisGuerrero
Hi @sasilverbullet - Give us a call at 1-800-BEST-OIL to speak with one of our technicians and we'd be happy to provide you with an oil recommendation based on these specs. - The Shell Rotella Team

And what does the team take in to account in choosing the right oil? Iam curious because most times this really consists out of reading a spec from the manufacturer or manual.

So you bought the sin-bin that so many people here advised you to avoid, me included?
Well, since you now have it, there would be no harm at all in trying a 10W-40 or a 15W-40 in your climate.
Despite what some of the slower Brit members are fond of saying, a thicker grade will reduce oil consumption.
Good luck with this old and well used van.
I hope that it proves me wrong and serves you well.
I'd feel more confident if it were a Ford, though.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
So you bought the sin-bin that so many people here advised you to avoid, me included?
Well, since you now have it, there would be no harm at all in trying a 10W-40 or a 15W-40 in your climate.
Despite what some of the slower Brit members are fond of saying, a thicker grade will reduce oil consumption.
Good luck with this old and well used van.
I hope that it proves me wrong and serves you well.
I'd feel more confident if it were a Ford, though.

Lol! Yeah, it's the first Chevy I've ever owned! I had a 83 and a 85 Ford XLT club wagon many moons ago.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
You might want to try Rotella T6 (5W-40). Works well in many a contractors rig with about the same mileage
smile.gif

He said it had oil consumption. That's a recipe for a cat problem soon if he uses rotella.

Either Pennzoil High Mileage or Mobil super High Mileage 5w30 I am using the Mobil Super High Mileage and it performs very well however i used to use the pennzoil high mileage and that was good also.
There are other good oils but these are the ones that seemed to work the best for us

Originally Posted By: Richtrashman
You might want to try Rotella T6 (5W-40). Works well in many a contractors rig with about the same mileage
smile.gif

He said it had oil consumption. That's a recipe for a cat problem soon if he uses rotella.

Why does using Rotella cause cat problems?

Originally Posted By: Richtrashman
smile.gif

Why does using Rotella cause cat problems?

High zinc content which is poisonous to cats if the engine burns oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back