What oil to use before pulling engine?

Will be pulling the engine out of a 2002 Honda Insight before scraping and will either keep to use if I get a similar car with a bad engine or try to sell. It could be sitting for many years before that happens. Should I change the oil with synthetic or can I use conventional?

I’ve never shelved an engine with oil in it. I guess if I ever did I would just use the cheapest oil at the correct viscosity.

I wouldn't worry about what oil's in it, leave it sit inside, and try turning it over manually every once and a while and fogging each cylinger at bdc.

Leave what's in it, in it. Like they said, fog the cylinders. Maybe put a breaker bar on it annually and turn it over.

"Old" oil isn't "used up", it still has plenty of anti corrosion chemistry.

The oil looks dirty so no can do. If I was looking to buy a used a engine, the first thing I would do is pull the dipstick and look at the oil. Clean oil and it's more likely I would buy or pay more than one with dark oil.

Old oil can be acidic and can create pitting on engine parts, which is why it’s generally accepted to drain the oil. New oil would be fine, I’ve just never done it nor do I know anyone who has shelved an engine with fresh oil.
Fogging the cylinders sounds like a good idea.

Old oil can be acidic and can create pitting on engine parts, which is why it’s generally accepted to drain the oil. New oil would be fine, I’ve just never done it nor do I know anyone who has shelved an engine with fresh oil.
Fogging the cylinders sounds like a good idea.
Only if the TBN is so low that the oil's buffering capability has been exhausted.

Never seen an engine stored with oil in the pan. It's not really of much use, as it won't circulate unless you can spin the engine fast enough to make the pump work. Do a rinse cycle with fresh oil, dump it, then pull it. Fog it & rotate it occasionally.

Someone's hiding something. If I see dirty oil or trans fluid that's been in there 20 or 30K miles, I'm going to assume it was pulled as a working unit.

Back