What oil specs really matter?

To begin, I have a 2016 F-150 with the 5.0, 103,XXX miles on it. Average about 17-20K a year on it. Mixed stop-n-go, highway, and towing driving. Live in Southeast MO. Winters rarely get below 10° and summers are hot.
My OCI's are 10,000 miles. Do have it tuned, Omega Tune, if that matters (nothing crazy). For the first time since I have owned it, I had to add a quart 6,500 miles into the OCI.

Have been running Amsoil SS 5w20. I'm well beyond any factory warranty, but do have a Lifetime Powertrain from the dealer I purchased from. Figure they would have to prove the oil was the problem if something catastrophic did happen. Does not say I have to use recommended fluids, just have to service at manufacturer recommended intervals.

I am considering switching to 5w30 (can be any brand). I have been searching and reading a lot throughout the forums the last few weeks and from what I have read I would get better engine protection from 5w30 or higher. I have found that the 5.0 can technically handle 5w50 as some Mustangs recommend using it. The more I have read, though, the more I have become a little confused on what specs (Visc. Index, NOACK, HT/HS, TBN, etc.) really matter the most when considering a different oil. I have even gone so far as to making a spread sheet with every new oil spec I could find.

What specs do I need to consider and what do I need to ignore on new oil? Say top 3-5?

When I find one I am considering, if there are UOA's for it in the the forum, what should I be looking for there?

I am planning on keeping this truck until my oldest son turns 16 (another 9 years) and then passing it to him. So, hoping to keep the problems to a minimum until then.

Thanks all!

I’d say anything rated SN on up should be fine. Look in the manual and use something with whatever spec Ford said at the time or higher. It would be hard to use something bad these days. If you like the Amsoil just switch to 5w30 in that.

I’d say anything rated SN on up should be fine. Look in the manual and use something with whatever spec Ford said at the time or higher. It would be hard to use something bad these days. If you like the Amsoil just switch to 5w30 in that.
Still a little new to this as I have been more of the mindset of "I get what I pay for". Why I have thrown my money at Amsoil, LOL. Are the ratings/certs like SN and API ranked anywhere?

Still a little new to this as I have been more of the mindset of "I get what I pay for". Why I have thrown my money at Amsoil, LOL. Are the ratings/certs like SN and API ranked anywhere?
If you look on th back of the bottle, the API “donut” will say which rating it meets. It will say energy conserving SN,SN+ Or SP which is the latest and greatest. In theory SP should be the “best”. In 2016 when your truck was made, API rating SN was the king. Still nothing wrong with that but the latest addresses a few things like timing chain wear that would benefit your truck.

Both of my current vehicles simply give a recommended viscosity and must have the API starburst symbol,
1607992263066.jpeg

So I basically buy what is on sale, actually clearance, and go with it.

I would imagine Ford would more quickly deny a powertrain warranty claim because of an aftermarket tune than your oil. If it was mine I would use M1 5W30 ESP on a 10k interval subject to testing. It has superior testing numbers in most categories and can be had for around 5 bucks a quart on sale at NAPA.

What I look for: 229.5, Porsche A40, Porsche C30 and the VW Specs. If the oil carries one of those I’m happy to put them in my cars. And of course the API symbol helps and ACEA A3/B3-B4.

but as many have said fram ultra and the Magnatec should be a good combo!

Last edited:
For your 10k OCI's TBN and Noak "can" be important. For protection HTHS is "most" important.

Any "approved" syn oil off-the-shelf oil will work. ACEA A3 oils are HTHS >3.5 (Mobil1 10w-30/HM and others) but may not be Ford approved if that matters.

For your 10k OCI's TBN and Noak "can" be important. For protection HTHS is "most" important.

Any "approved" syn oil off-the-shelf oil will work. ACEA A3 oils are HTHS >3.5 (Mobil1 10w-30/HM and others) but may not be Ford approved if that matters.
I was wondering if anyone was going to even attempt to answer the question. :LOL:

There's a post somewhere on this site with definitions.

Use Quantum Blue with the Infinite Additive Package- there will never be any more wear on your engine.

Quantum Blue
Remember that forum post with the charger where the engine had issues due to the oil and the rebuilder blamed Quantum Blue. Then the vehicle owner was Re-convinced by Quantum Blue to continue using his garbage product. It really show how easily deceived some can be. It's quite freighting.

Thanks, all for the replies.

For those the said Magnatec, out of curiosity, what swayed you to choose it? Simply the price or something(s) certain?

I know many are brand loyal and some just simply find what is cheapest at the time they are due for their OC. Price will start to play a part in my decision, but I am also trying to understand and apply at least a little of the abundance of information that is on here that I am reading. That's why I was asking for rankings on the different tested characteristics each oil. Those who answered my question with some of your top things you look for, THANK YOU!

I'm still reading and trying to make my educated pick, so keep the replies coming! I may do one more round of Amsoil SS in the 5w30 my next OC and hopefully by the next I'll have my mind made up for certain.

One more thing If anyone could answer. If I was to go with a 5W-50 what kind of MPG decrease would I potentially see? Was comparing Visc Index, TBN, HTHS, and NOACK for SS 5W-30 and 5W-50 and then checked out M1 FS 5W-50 and had me curious.Thanks!

Back