What oil specs really matter?

Remember that forum post with the charger where the engine had issues due to the oil and the rebuilder blamed Quantum Blue. Then the vehicle owner was Re-convinced by Quantum Blue to continue using his garbage product. It really show how easily deceived some can be. It's quite freighting.

Yes I do. The spirit of PT is alive and well.

Its called "pathological science" for a good reason

What I look for: 229.5, Porsche A40, Porsche C30 and the VW Specs. If the oil carries one of those I’m happy to put them in my cars. And of course the API symbol helps and ACEA A3/B3-B4.

but as many have said fram ultra and the Magnatec should be a good combo!
Would this be something you'd consider? I am a PC so at $6.85/qt I am really thinking of trying it. It meets everything you mentioned.

Would this be something you'd consider? I am a PC so at $6.85/qt I am really thinking of trying it. It meets everything you mentioned.
If you’re a PC and you want to try this oil out go for it. It does have the specs I mentioned earlier in this thread.

However, if you’d like, you could try Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol 0w40 and even Pennzoil Platnium Euro 5w40 if they’re available to you and they will be cheaper than the amsoil as well since the M1 and Castrol you can get from Walmart for a dirt cheap price (God bless America...).

I have never used Amsoil since it’s way to expensive for me (Toronto) and I don’t want to be a preferred member to get a good price. Is Amsoil a good oil? No, it’s a great oil for extended intervals and it has shown itself to be stout but so have M1, PP and Castrol.

With the above being said above, I’d keep changes to 10k intervals and use a quality oil filter (Wix or Fram ultra) as well. I know you said your temps rarely drop below 10 so you shouldn’t have an issue with start up with the oils I listed. That all being said, I would say try out a 5w30 weight oil first, see how you like it, or if you just don’t want to and want a HTHS rating of 3.5 + then stick with the 5w40/0w40 with the 229.5/A40/LL01 spec.

As others have sad the Magnatec should work well as would M1 EP and PP ultra (5w30 grades for all and they should have a HTHS of 2.9 -3.1).

Last edited:
If you’re a PC and you want to try this oil out go for it. It does have the specs I mentioned earlier in this thread.

However, if you’d like, you could try Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol 0w40 and even Pennzoil Platnium Euro 5w40 if they’re available to you and they will be cheaper than the amsoil as well since the M1 and Castrol you can get from Walmart for a dirt cheap price (God bless America...).

I have never used Amsoil since it’s way to expensive for me (Toronto) and I don’t want to be a preferred member to get a good price. Is Amsoil a good oil? No, it’s a great oil for extended intervals and it has shown itself to be stout but so have M1, PP and Castrol.

With the above being said above, I’d keep changes to 10k intervals and use a quality oil filter (Wix or Fram ultra) as well. I know you said your temps rarely drop below 10 so you shouldn’t have an issue with start up with the oils I listed. That all being said, I would say try out a 5w30 weight oil first, see how you like it, or if you just don’t want to and want a HTHS rating of 3.5 + then stick with the 5w40/0w40 with the 229.5/A40/LL01 spec.

As others have sad the Magnatec should work well as would M1 EP and PP ultra (5w30 grades for all and they should have a HTHS of 2.9 -3.1).
Thank you so much for your input and responding! Edge Euro 5W-30 and Valvoline XL-III 5W-30 (not sure of C3) were close to being used, but I went ahead and grabbed the Amsoil. Had free shipping and some PC points to use. Probably spent more than the other WM flavors you mentioned, but compared to what I was paying for Sig Series, this was still a lot cheaper! I am probably grabbing a Wix later today since I just do not want to deal with the madhouse that Walmart is right now (at ours the oil/filters are all the way in back of the store) to get an Ultra. O'Reilly is much closer and much easier to navigate right now :giggle: Merry CHRISTmas!

Thank you so much for your input and responding! Edge Euro 5W-30 and Valvoline XL-III 5W-30 (not sure of C3) were close to being used, but I went ahead and grabbed the Amsoil. Had free shipping and some PC points to use. Probably spent more than the other WM flavors you mentioned, but compared to what I was paying for Sig Series, this was still a lot cheaper! I am probably grabbing a Wix later today since I just do not want to deal with the madhouse that Walmart is right now (at ours the oil/filters are all the way in back of the store) to get an Ultra. O'Reilly is much closer and much easier to navigate right now :giggle: Merry CHRISTmas!
Sounds good to me bud. Merry Christmas and have a happy new year.

I put RGT 5W-30 in my ‘19 5.0. There are less than a thousand miles on the clock so that doesn’t mean much, not that I expect any particular oil to make a difference.

I’ll continue to run whatever current API synthetic 30-grade I have in it, usually some sort of bulk oil. Done several hundred thousand miles this way, no reason to change now.

How in the world did this happen? Somehow I posted in the wrong (old) thread, I wasn’t even reading this. Disregard.

I've been using German Castrol, first in the 0w30 & now the 0w40, for years & years. Wish it still had that ole' British greenish tint to it! Ha.
That no-name Quantum Blue crap from BND that the guy mixes up in his garage per/each special order, is not only scary expensive, but worthless junk. Crazy, thinking some people actually spend their hard earned money on it, geeez. I'd like some special 1.73w58.6 oil please?

Back