What oil should I run in my 2011 LX570 - Switching from 0w20-5w30

I am probably way overthinking this.
I have a 2011 Lexus LX570 (3UR-FE) (173kmiles) and am currently running TGMO in 0w-20. Recently I did a long road trip and hit the dunes and noticed when I got back I was half a quart low. (Last oil change was 3500k miles ago) No oil leaks. So I believe my truck would qualify under heavy use since I 4wheel often. The other time its my DD and driving to and from work on Southern CA traffic.

Would there be any downside to use 5w-30 oil? And what 5w-30 oil has moly content similar to TGMO? Currently I have Idemitsu 5w-30 available to me. I change my oil and filter every 5k miles.

I am probably way overthinking this.
I have a 2011 Lexus LX570 (3UR-FE) (173kmiles) and am currently running TGMO in 0w-20. Recently I did a long road trip and hit the dunes and noticed when I got back I was half a quart low. (Last oil change was 3500k miles ago) No oil leaks. So I believe my truck would qualify under heavy use since I 4wheel often. The other time its my DD and driving to and from work on Southern CA traffic.

Would there be any downside to use 5w-30 oil? And what 5w-30 oil has moly content similar to TGMO? Currently I have Idemitsu 5w-30 available to me. I change my oil and filter every 5k miles.
Oil loss is likely due to evaporation. Half a quart over 3,500 miles is really good for an engine approaching 200k miles. Most dealerships don't consider oil loss an issue until 1 quart per 1,000 miles.

No, there are not going to be any significant downsides to switching to 5w-30 oil. You will likely notice a slight loss in fuel economy (
I would not be concerned with the Moly number. There are two different forms of Moly that are used primarily, Oils that feature >200ppm of moly use a slightly less effective form of moly, while the oils that feature
Any Dexos1 approved 5w-30 will work just fine. The differences between major oils are very narrow these days.

@chriscosta416 do you have any data based justification for switching?
It seems the 0w-20 has worked well to this point.
I have been reading up on using the 5w-30 weight on ih8mud, Overseas Toyota calls for 5w30 and a wide range of weights for the 5.7. In the states it calls for 0w-20 and people are assuming its for CAFE standards. My truck is often loaded up with gear and either bashing through dunes or climbing rocks so I was thinking of switching to a heavier weight oil since my truck would fall under severe use per the owners manual.
I assume a slightly thicker oil would be better for a higher mileage motor as well as often better protection

Why? Hardy Har Har.
Keeping the viscosity at the OEM rec for cold starting to ensure fluid makes it way quick enough to lubricate components and bumping the 20-30 to ensure things stay lubricated and cool at higher temps and RPM

At least thats how I understand it

Keeping the viscosity at the OEM rec for cold starting to ensure fluid makes it way quick enough to lubricate components and bumping the 20-30 to ensure things stay lubricated and cool at higher temps and RPM

At least thats how I understand it
No, but a common misconception.

Back