What oil product from what oil company

All the big oil companies got a line that just sticks out to me as something unique. In BP/Castrol I think Magnatec 0w20 is the business. Valvoline had it with the VML red bottle especially 5w30. Great high mileage semi-syn oil.Pennzoil Ultra Platinum pre-GTL was awesome in 5w30 with a Noack about as low as they come but later poor distribution made this oil lose fan base. M1 get my node in the 0w30 & 0w40 weights only.Great at 5.99qt at Napa. Redline oil 0w20 is stout and runs well in little sewing machine engines like mine. Love this oil, dont use if you consume a lot of oil or cant part with 11.00 a qt. Definitely overkill. Not a fan of their OE line;stick to the Race/Street line only. Royal Purple was great in 2000's as a Synerlec oil. Bought it religiously at Napa in 5w30. Wish they would lose the SN line completely as its fair at best but the purple dye was great for reading dipstick after oil change.Amsoil has a following. Liked the 2000 series in 0w30 when its all they made and push for true syn oil. Having brochures is a plus as some dont care for the new way of Internet research. Trop Arctic was a great 1.99qt synblend that was sold at Orschlens while back. Great product in 5w20.

Does any major oil manufacturer make a bad oil these days? Certainly in the UK you'd be hard pressed to buy a bad oil at all, even our supermarket oils are made by larger manufacturers.

We sit here and go on about ZDDP, Moly, NOACK and god knows what else but in reality if you have two oils that have the approvals your car requires that who's to say what oil is better than the other?

Look for the cheapest major branded oil you can with the correct approval you require and you can't go wrong.

Up until our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer I bought strictly by price for basic required oil specs. For the 2017 2.3 EB I've settled on "plain vanilla" Mobil1 5W-30. It meets the dexos 1 Gen 2 specs, SN+ and the Honda turbo specs. It's viscosity is decent at 11 and the HTHS is 3.1 and the NOAK is 10. My UOA for a summer run of 7,000 miles was real good and a winter run here in northern NJ for 6,200 miles was also real good. So far I have six 5 qt jugs left that I paid ~$11/each for and four Mobil 1 oil filters for $5/each
grin2.gif
. And hopefully they'll run their rebates again so I can acquire more at rock bottom pricing
banana2.gif

Whimsey

Last edited:
Back