What oil is Irv Gordon using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard what oil Irv Gordon, the world record holder for most miles on a car, thinks is best? At 2.4 million miles on his 1966 Volvo, he's got to have a preference.

Probably Havoline or Penzoil dino.
dunno.gif

How many times has Irv had his engine rebuilt? Also who holds the record for the most miles with out any rebuilding or valve job? Dan

[ May 26, 2005, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: DR Racing ]

quote:

Originally posted by DR Racing:
How many times has Irv had his engine rebuilt? Also who holds the record for the most miles with out any rebuilding or valve job? Dan

One valve job to make it run on unleaded.

Actually I think he replaced the crank bearings at a million or something.

No one really knows what oil he uses. Some have said Castrol.

He said the real secret is not jackrabbiting and driving easy - no bogging, no super high revs, no regular hard stops, no hard cornering.

Volvo bottom ends used to be tough, though!

Volvo pays for everything on that car. Irv hasn't spent a dime except for gas since 1 million miles.
Yes guys he gets all his routine maintenance and all repairs done for free at the dealer.
Plus he got a new 760 given to him when he 1 million and a new S80 when he hit 2 million.

I saw Irv in an interview in Kansas City where he was asked by the interviewer what motor oil he used in the Volvo. Irv was somewhat standoffish about it but finally said, Mobil. Irv did not say whether it was conventional or synthetic Mobil that he was using though.

I'm not sure if the white block bottom ends are as tough as the red blocks - but I certainly have never seen a white block fail. Time will tell.

Mobil - interesting.

I talked to him a few years ago at a car show. IIRC, he has the engine rebuilt every 400,000 to 500,000 miles. The car itself is very simple. 1 belt turning the alternator and water pump. No other accessories on the engine. Manual brakes. Manual steering. No A/C. The car has been repaired and repainted several times.

As far as the most miles on an original engine, I remember a guy in North or South Carolina that had over 1 million miles on his small block Chevy pickup. His job was delivering something printed (newspaper?) every day to Georgia. His round trip length was over 700 miles a day. He had his oil changed every 4 days at a Pennzoil quick lube shop where he lived. After he hit 1 million, Chevy gave him a new pickup in exchange for his old one.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I'm not sure if the white block bottom ends are as tough as the red blocks - but I certainly have never seen a white block fail. Time will tell.

Mobil - interesting.

I haven't seen a 6 fail yet but I have seen at least 3 5 cylinders this year with a rod through the side of the block. I can tell you the reason. "OIL" Or should I say a lack of changing it when recommended. All were sludged up with over 10K miles on the oil in the pan. Not one failed from being maintained properly.
I did see one fail at 10 miles about 5 years ago when someone at the factory forgot to tighten the connecting rod bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back