What oil for push mower transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Hope you are all keeping well.
I'm repairing a rear wheel drive Craftsman push mower which has a failed rear drive unit. I just got all the needed parts today and I'm going to assemble the unit shortly.
It's a very simple mechanism consisting of a worm gear powered by an engine pulley, driving another gear and some one way clutches.
I don't know what kind of lubricant it originally used as it was heavily contaminated with water due to a blown shaft seal and failed ball bearing unit.
I'm thinking it may have been some sort of oil as a grease would have had difficulty keeping the moving parts lubricated.
I had no luck finding any useful information on Youtube.

Thanks in advance, Lotor

Thanks for the suggestion. As is so often the case, I only need about 4 ounces of lubricant for this application, I wouldn't have any use for the leftover material. Would bar and chain oil be of any use?

I run 10w30 High mileage oil.

But as long as you keep it topped off most are not that picky.

I would use "00" grease, or any decent heavy duty lithium grease. I use something called John Deere corn head grease, which can be used in low speed gearboxes and is about $4 at the local Deere dealer.

Last edited:
Yes it is a walk behind which I've been pushing since the drive crapped put. Thank you all for your great advice.

Lotor.....

Originally Posted by Jimzz
I run 10w30 High mileage oil.

But as long as you keep it topped off most are not that picky.

I believe he means for his drive gear box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back