What oil for my 302 Ford race engine??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Are

Hi. I am building a Ford Mustang road racing car. The engine I am using is a 302 Ford race engine bored and stroked to 363. It is a dry sump engine with about 800hp at 8500rpm with max rpm at 9200. I am trying to find the right oil in the jungle of oil brands out there.. Lol.. There are 4 types of oil I am thinking about, Lucas 15- 50 racing oil, Amsoil 15- 50 racing oil, Royal Purple 15- 50 racing oil and Castrol R40 (castor based). The Castrol is single grade 40 castor based, but I think it will be fine if I just keep the oil temp whereit should be. What to do, and what to use?????
Thanks guys!! :)

This type of application is far from average. Are you assembling the engine yourself? What are you using for bearing clearance?

Rob_Roy. I bought the engine with a damage from the US. It has been run in the modern Trans Am cup. I have done the repar my self. It has coated bearings and it has a little more bearing clearance than stock. It has a Bryant billet crankshaft. It is a Weaver 5 stage dry sump pump..

I would stay away from Lucas. The Mobil 1 Amsoil or Royal Purple is a great coice. Also Valvoline Racing oils are good too. I have a freind that uses plain old off the shelf Mobil 1 For a 850HP Chevy engine with no issuse. Oh so many choices..........

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
What do you all say to GC in this application? A thick 0w-30?

GC??

Yea.. I know. So many choices.... the more you red about oil, the more confused you get... Lol..
I am seriusly thinking about the "old" Castrol R40..

I'm not familiar with Castrol R40. I don't think we have that in the states. Is that a racing type oil?
Do you folks in Norway have all the government [censored] dictating oil add- packs such as zddp count and all?

Last edited:
All the recommendations above are good, but which on of these oils can you get in Norway. Out of the choices, that you give in your first post i would go with Amsoil and Royal Purple a close second.

I like, german castrol (Castrol 0w30), but i think it's a little out of place in this application.

Knox is right, We can all make suggestions. But the bottom line is do your homework and choose the right oil for your application. All the oils mentioned are great choices. But one thing I have learned over the years. The most expensive isn't always the best. But by all means don't buy the cheapest either. I hang out with alot of gearheads that know nothing about oil and run al different brands of oil. One thing I could say for sure. I've never seen a oil related problem with the engines. I'm sure any GOOD BRAND NAME oil will work good as long as you know it will work for your application. BITOG is the learning center for lubrication.

Originally Posted By: johnnydc
Also forgot to mention Mobil 1 Racing ois. Do you have access to this?
Also, nice choice of engines...

We have most racing oils.. Not sure what you meen a bout goverment dictating, but "normal" road car oil dont have mutch zink in it. Asfar as I know, the zink damage the catalyzator on modern cars.
The Castrol R40 is a single grade 40 castor based racing oil. Has been used in racing for a while now.

That castrol R40 might be a good choice then. As for the goverment thing. We run light weight oils (to meet fuel milage standards) in our cars here with low zddp for long catalitic life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back