What oil for 2019 Chrysler 5.7L Hemi

Not to steal the thread but a friend of mine said he saw a you tube video of Scotty Kilmer talking about a replacement part for the plastic housing that would use a spin on oil filter and not the drop in canister oil filter thats stock. He said Scotty is always going on how cheap the plastic part on the 3.6 is but ive looked and looked for it and cant find anything on it and he has not replied back where he found it. If its true it would be a great idea using some metal spin on vs the stock setup.

It can't be any worse than Hyundai's plastic canister oil filter system, and that one is actually not that bad. Scotty Kilmet makes money from YouTube and it's understandable that he has to generate interest in his videos. I gave up on him a long time ago because I find very little to no value in his videos.

No need to go outside and look 😉

Go to this website: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Type in your VIN number and your equipment list will pop up in minute detail. Look for "Oil Heat Exchanger" right about the Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler. I'm really curious if you have one installed from the factory 😁

Doesn't appear to work on Canadian trucks? I just tried the VIN for the one that lunched a lifter and it doesn't come up.

No need to go outside and look 😉

Go to this website: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Type in your VIN number and your equipment list will pop up in minute detail. Look for "Oil Heat Exchanger" right about the Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler. I'm really curious if you have one installed from the factory 😁
Looks like I do! And if its true, Im not overly impressed? I watch my oil get to 220-ish on a regular basis.

However, it seems to keep the same temperatures no matter what the ambient temp is, so maybe the system is working (driven it for long periods in 30 degree weather and 95 degree weather)

1612315140981.png

Looks like I do! And if its true, Im not overly impressed? I watch my oil get to 220-ish on a regular basis.

However, it seems to keep the same temperatures no matter what the ambient temp is, so maybe the system is working (driven it for long periods in 30 degree weather and 95 degree weather)

View attachment 43934

It should stick relatively close to coolant temperature, so yes, 220-ish sounds right. The heat exchanger serves two functions:
1. It brings the oil up to temperature faster
2. It keeps the oil from getting too hot

Both are good.

Doesn't appear to work on Canadian trucks? I just tried the VIN for the one that lunched a lifter and it doesn't come up.
Probably not. Judging by the "Canada" and "Mexico" links at the top of the page, I think it's made to work only on US trucks, sorry.

View attachment 43934

As @OVERKILL stated, it should stay close to coolant temperature. I would be happy with a constant oil temperature of 220F no matter what, instead, mine is all over the place depending on ambient and if I'm towing. When on the highway, it's always 220F~222F without towing, and 238F ~ 245 when towing 2000~3000 pounds.

If you want a slightly constant oil temperature, install a 180F thermostat. It's only like $15 on Amazon. I'm actually considering doing that, along with a coolant change. Here: STANT 48798 OE Equivalent Thermostat - 180 Degrees Fahrenheit Opening Temperature

It can't be any worse than Hyundai's plastic canister oil filter system, and that one is actually not that bad. Scotty Kilmet makes money from YouTube and it's understandable that he has to generate interest in his videos. I gave up on him a long time ago because I find very little to no value in his videos.
He is full of click-bait.....

Disregard, it is case sensitive, that's.... odd.

Anyways, nope, it doesn't list it.

So the RAM 1500 that nuked a lifter wasn't equipped with an oil heat exchanger?

Also, all Pentastar 3.6 engines have an oil cooler right under the plastic filter housing.

I guess FCA thought that pickup trucks would go to waste faster if they don't install a cooler, I don't know. It's kind of shady.

So the RAM 1500 that nuked a lifter wasn't equipped with an oil heat exchanger?

Also, all Pentastar 3.6 engines have an oil cooler right under the plastic filter housing.

I guess FCA thought that pickup trucks would go to waste faster if they don't install a cooler, I don't know. It's kind of shady
Yes, I knew the Pentastars all had them as part of the oil filter assembly, I just thought it funny that it was called out specifically on the build sheet where it is clearly obviously missing on the work truck that ate a lifter. I also looked up another work truck, same vintage, no oil cooler. So I suspect at least none of our 2011's or 2012's, all of which have close to 200,000 miles on them now, have oil coolers. I don't have any of the VIN's handy for the newer trucks.

Probably not. Judging by the "Canada" and "Mexico" links at the top of the page, I think it's made to work only on US trucks, sorry.

As @OVERKILL stated, it should stay close to coolant temperature. I would be happy with a constant oil temperature of 220F no matter what, instead, mine is all over the place depending on ambient and if I'm towing. When on the highway, it's always 220F~222F without towing, and 238F ~ 245 when towing 2000~3000 pounds.

If you want a slightly constant oil temperature, install a 180F thermostat. It's only like $15 on Amazon. I'm actually considering doing that, along with a coolant change. Here: STANT 48798 OE Equivalent Thermostat - 180 Degrees Fahrenheit Opening Temperature

There have been loads of people on RAMForum trying the t-stat thing, but with all of the crap on the truck that purposely makes it "warm", the cooler t-stat doesnt necessarily help unless you do other things like remove the active grille shutters, replace clutch fan with electric and get a tune to engage the electric at a certain temp, etc.

Maybe down the line I give it a try but I think its going to require more than just replacing the t-stat to see a good difference in temperature.

Yes, I knew the Pentastars all had them as part of the oil filter assembly, I just thought it funny that it was called out specifically on the build sheet where it is clearly obviously missing on the work truck that ate a lifter. I also looked up another work truck, same vintage, no oil cooler. So I suspect at least none of our 2011's or 2012's, all of which have close to 200,000 miles on them now, have oil coolers. I don't have any of the VIN's handy for the newer trucks.

This is why I wont trust the build sheet and will have to look for myself :) once the snow goes away.

Is there data out there that shows a 25 degree increase in oil temperature causes any difference in the oil's ability to lubricate?

Is there data out there that shows a 25 degree increase in oil temperature causes any difference in the oil's ability to lubricate?

If it were only a 25F change. When you tow 7000 pounds, it's 280F going up a steeper patch of highway.

There have been loads of people on RAMForum trying the t-stat thing, but with all of the crap on the truck that purposely makes it "warm", the cooler t-stat doesnt necessarily help unless you do other things like remove the active grille shutters, replace clutch fan with electric and get a tune to engage the electric at a certain temp, etc.

Maybe down the line I give it a try but I think its going to require more than just replacing the t-stat to see a good difference in temperature.

After you replace the thermostat you need to adjust the fan speeds to a lower temperature, otherwise not much will change. You do that with a tuner. Doing a grill shutter mod can also help, and if you do that, you don't necessarily need to adjust the fan seeds anymore (locked ECU and all).

If it were only a 25F change. When you tow 7000 pounds, it's 280F going up a steeper patch of highway.

Gotcha. I towed 9000 lbs for a couple hours recently. I never looked at the exact temperature readouts because the regular oil/trans temp gauges (bar type) that I have displayed all the time never moved from their normal spot. Granted I wasn't going over any mountains.

After you replace the thermostat you need to adjust the fan speeds to a lower temperature, otherwise not much will change. You do that with a tuner. Doing a grill shutter mod can also help, and if you do that, you don't necessarily need to adjust the fan seeds anymore (locked ECU and all).

Yeah, I have the MaxCare Lifetime warranty, so not much extra gets done to my truck so they cant void it.

It does seem to help just removing a few of the shutter slats, which are at least easy to re-install if necessary.

Back