What oil for 2019 Chrysler 5.7L Hemi

I own a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi. It has only 485 miles on it . I have not driven it due to being ill and the Covid-19 lock downs. I have had the vehicle for almost 1 year. My question is should I change the factory oil that came in it because of the age or is it alright to put some miles on the oil, before I change the oil and filters? Also I have been told by several people that say they have heard that Mopar is saying to not use synthetic oil in that engine, is that true or is it just urban legend?

Wow, you got some comments on this one. Since your HEMI has an oil heat exchanger, use whatever 5W-20 Synthetic you want. That means that your motor oil will be kept at a relatively steady operating temperature. I recommend PUP 5W-20 or Mobil 1 EP 5W-20. I don't recommend Mopar oil filters, they are expensive paper filters. Instead use FRAM XG2, Royal Purple 20-820 or Purolator BOSS PBL 24651. All of these are bigger filters, however, your HEMI will thank you.

Wow, you got some comments on this one. Since your HEMI has an oil heat exchanger, use whatever 5W-20 Synthetic you want. That means that your motor oil will be kept at a relatively steady operating temperature. I recommend PUP 5W-20 or Mobil 1 EP 5W-20. I don't recommend Mopar oil filters, they are expensive paper filters. Instead use FRAM XG2, Royal Purple 20-820 or Purolator BOSS PBL 24651. All of these are bigger filters, however, your HEMI will thank you.
Depending on the size of the electric rack there may not be room for a larger filter.

Depending on the size of the electric rack there may not be room for a larger filter.

I use a larger filter in my 2016 RAM 1500, and it's not the electric rack that's the problem. The AC lines get in the way and I always have a tough time squeezing the filter between them I wish RAM would have thought this through a little bit better.

I use a larger filter in my 2016 RAM 1500, and it's not the electric rack that's the problem. The AC lines get in the way and I always have a tough time squeezing the filter between them I wish RAM would have thought this through a little bit better.
OP was asking about a 19 Jeep Grand Cherokee iirc.

OP was asking about a 19 Jeep Grand Cherokee iirc.
I know, but i think that the Jeep may have the oil filter above the electronic power steering as well for the 5.7.

Redline, obviously.
For the price of a RedLine oil change, I can get 24 quarts of Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 at Walmart. When on sale, it's even cheaper. At least the Mobil 1 has some certifications. RedLine has none.

I will just take the Jeep to the dealer and have the oil done I get free oil changes from them from some program I got letter from the dealer about using up my oil changes. let them put the correct oil in it. :unsure:
Sometimes those stealerships can pull some fast ones on you....like charging for or in your case say its syn going into the engine but using the cheapest bulk dinolube oil out there. I have somebody change it for me because im disabled now in my old age but know the guy in my Mustang car club im a member in has a small shop....i buy the oil and give him 25 bucks to change it while i sit there talking his ears off.

M1 5w20 or Castrol EdGe 5w20 will protect that hemi and liters camshaft too , the way FCA wanted to be protected
It's funny you say that because all HEMI equipped RAM 1500 pickup trucks built before 2018 didn't come equipped with an oil heat exchanger, but they still insisted that everyone uses 5W-20. I mean, nothing wrong with 5W-20, unless you're really working that truck. Meanwhile, every Charger, Challenger, Durango, or Jeep equipped with a HEMI had one of those installed from the factory. I guess after enough lifter failures FCA decided in 2018 to start installing them in the RAM as well. So I'm not sure how FCA intended for my 2016 engine to be protected, however, I doubt they had my best interest in mind. In my situation, I will most likely pony up the $320 and get all the parts necessary to install the oil heat exchanger and then go back to 5W-20 or even 0W-20. As to what FCA's intentions are at times, that's hard to guess.

It's funny you say that because all HEMI equipped RAM 1500 pickup trucks built before 2018 didn't come equipped with an oil heat exchanger, but they still insisted that everyone uses 5W-20. I mean, nothing wrong with 5W-20, unless you're really working that truck. Meanwhile, every Charger, Challenger, Durango, or Jeep equipped with a HEMI had one of those installed from the factory. I guess after enough lifter failures FCA decided in 2018 to start installing them in the RAM as well. So I'm not sure how FCA intended for my 2016 engine to be protected, however, I doubt they had my best interest in mind. In my situation, I will most likely pony up the $320 and get all the parts necessary to install the oil heat exchanger and then go back to 5W-20 or even 0W-20. As to what FCA's intentions are at times, that's hard to guess.

Im looking at various Mopar parts sites and I dont see any oil cooler that is 2018+ only. Its listed on my 2017, as well as 2018+ trucks....am I missing something?

Is it possibly just not there on all trucks? Im curious but with 1.5 feet of snow on the ground, Im not curious enough to go look under my truck :)

Not to steal the thread but a friend of mine said he saw a you tube video of Scotty Kilmer talking about a replacement part for the plastic housing that would use a spin on oil filter and not the drop in canister oil filter thats stock. He said Scotty is always going on how cheap the plastic part on the 3.6 is but ive looked and looked for it and cant find anything on it and he has not replied back where he found it. If its true it would be a great idea using some metal spin on vs the stock setup.

Im looking at various Mopar parts sites and I dont see any oil cooler that is 2018+ only. Its listed on my 2017, as well as 2018+ trucks....am I missing something?

Is it possibly just not there on all trucks? Im curious but with 1.5 feet of snow on the ground, Im not curious enough to go look under my truck :)

No need to go outside and look 😉

Go to this website: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Type in your VIN number and your equipment list will pop up in minute detail. Look for "Oil Heat Exchanger" right about the Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler. I'm really curious if you have one installed from the factory 😁

Back