What oil filter is the most free-flowing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I saw a study a while back that regular purolator were the most free-flowing filter and the PureOne version had high restricted flow.

Look at Fleetguard. For my F150 as I recall, the long version flowed something like 16 gpm, way more than Purolator, Wix, Motorcraft as I recall.

I think the Pure One is more restrictive as it filters better and the two usually correspond inversely. I wouldn't worry about it though it will suffice. If you want flow and filteration look for synthetic filter media---again Fleetguard may have this.

Me though, I use Baldwin as it is a good quality filter and I LOVE the bright red can--the Fram psycological effect but with quality.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Isn't the K&N supposed to be one of the freer flowing filters?

it can't be because my HLA's make noise when it use K and N.

The Hyundai and regular purolator are the only ones that don't make my engine starve for oil

Any filter can be. Just take it apart, remove the fiter media, and then put it back together...

Originally Posted By: Popinski
I thought I saw a study a while back that regular purolator were the most free-flowing filter and the PureOne version had high restricted flow.

The PureONE flows very well IMO ... read this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

You got a link to the study you are referring to? Hard to beat actual measured test data from Purolator's lab.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Look at Fleetguard. For my F150 as I recall, the long version flowed something like 16 gpm, way more than Purolator, Wix, Motorcraft as I recall.

That's somewhat an ambiguous spec, as any filter will flow 16 GPM if you put enough pressure on it's inlet.

The real measure of how well a filter flows is to look at the "Flow vs. PSID" curve.

Royal Purple oil filters have a synthetic filter media and thus flow extremely well. I am using one myself in Minnesota where the temperature has been -15F lately. My minivan sits outside with no block heater. My oil is GC 0W30 and the oil pressure is almost immediate with this combination of oil and oil filter - the best that I have seen in cold weather on my van - 2003 Chrysler.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

You got a link to the study you are referring to? Hard to beat actual measured test data from Purolator's lab.

Actually, it was the BITOG oil test a long time ago.

I think it would be even harder to beat data from an independent lab

Actually, it was the BITOG oil test a long time ago.

A long time ago. Yes, different media now in the PureONEs.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

I think it would be even harder to beat data from an independent lab

I believe the data from Purolator ... why would they lie. It also correlates well with other flow vs PSID data I've seen of other oil filters.

True, but more and better media give better flow, finer filtration, and more dirt holding capacity. To do so, you must compromise manufacturing cost. It is quite possible the Ecore is one way around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back