What oil does a 4.3 vortec like the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea of how to judge what and an engine "likes".

I've been using PYB 5w-30 since new ('03 GMC Safari) and switched over to PP 5w-30 at 115k.

No worries.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
PYB 5w-30 or 10w-30 would be a great choice...this engine seems to like the high moly.
JMO....

I have a 4.3 Vortec in my Trailblazer, and it runs so freakin' smooth on 5-30 PYB.

I just replaced a 2005 4.3 at 176,000 miles. I am the second owner and I knew the meticulous first owner. He had lost an oil pump and a timing chain during his tenure. For a good while it had a broken or weak valve spring that would dramatically limit the performance at 94 mph. Various other operating issues, low -ish compression all around and finally #6 showed 10-12 psi compression. I pulled the plug at that point and replaced the original engine with a $500. used engine from a yard I trust.

So apparently there is at least one which refused to run forever.

The rest of the truck is nice but the original 4.3 engine wasn't quite up to par somehow.

CJE
----------

Originally Posted by 901Memphis
I think the 4.3 is the exception, it runs forever on anything, any flavor. I don't think i have seen one of these engines that didn't outlast the rest of the truck.

I think recommending any API SN 5w30 is appropriate.

You pushed an engine with a broken / weak valve spring with 176K on the ticker to 94MPH and it's the engine that isn't up to par?

Originally Posted by farrarfan1
Why resurrect a thread that's almost 7 years old?

HA! Just noticed. Didn't have my glasses before.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back