What oil does a 4.3 vortec like the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.......

In mine, I put in normal dino Supertech 10W-40 (I have found Supertech 10W-40 to be on the thin side, made general mental note "Supertech oil is on the thin side.")

I am next thinking of trying GC, or Castrol Syntec 0W-30, in there. Even 0W-40, depending. Maybe.

You can run almost anything......

I was going to put in Redline 0W-20, but that's pretty overkill for a 4.3...

I also hear Castrol GTX 5S-30 is a darn good oil for a 4.3.

OK other 4.3 guys?

*My engine model year of Vortec 4.3 is 1994. Same mechanicals as 1995. Is in pre-1996 Vortec category, but 1994/1995 are supposed to have had the best heads from pre-96 Vortecs, as pers10forum.com lengthy thread...

PYB 5w-30 or 10w-30 would be a great choice...this engine seems to like the high moly.
JMO....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
PYB 5w-30 or 10w-30 would be a great choice...this engine seems to like the high moly.
JMO....

Thats what I've found too

Some of the best UOAs Ive seen were on PYB. This engine isnt picky, just make sure the radiator cap is right and that the intake manifold isnt leaking...

4.3's like whatever is on sale - they aren't picky. Yes - it's a 3/4 SBC. "The 4.3L V6 has a 4.00-inch bore and a 3.48-inch stroke, identical to the 350 cid Chevrolet V8 engine." - Wiki

Originally Posted By: bigt61
4.3's like whatever is on sale - they aren't picky. Yes - it's a 3/4 SBC. "The 4.3L V6 has a 4.00-inch bore and a 3.48-inch stroke, identical to the 350 cid Chevrolet V8 engine." - Wiki

I thought piston skirts were different? I keep hearing they are near-identical, bu twith some differences, like you say.

And -2 cylinders
laugh.gif

So, PYB it likes... Hmmm....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Some of the best UOAs Ive seen were on PYB. This engine isnt picky, just make sure the radiator cap is right and that the intake manifold isnt leaking...

954890_561094923957058_1514933195_n.jpg

^^ Like this? 16lbs Psi is that the right one?

Or 15lbs...

?

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
-Correct me if I'm wrong-
Ain't it basically just a SBC less two cylinders?

John.

Yes , the 5.7 minus 2 cyl .

A diet of 5W30 of whatever is on sale is all my 4.3 gets . They as well as any SBC engine is not fussy and easy keepers .

I have run a wide variety of oils of different brands and viscosities (even some straight weights!) in mine and it NEVER complains. Zero issues, Zero consumption. I agree with the comments above, its a very tolerant engine.

When I had a 4.3 in an automotive application, it would get 5w30 synthetic.

In marine applications, I use Rotella T5 10w30 or Delvac 15w40, depending on whats on sale or rebate at the time.

With that being said, I totally agree - the 4.3 would be content on anything.

My Bravada is favoring Castrol FST these days.

I avoid the sodium additive packages since it makes a leaking gasket - as opposed to the leaking hoses, heater core, water pump, ect - tougher to detect. UOA shows that my truck doesn't like conventional oil nearly as much as the fancy synthetics, but it might be Chicago driving. The oil also shows more shearing that I would have expected from ACEA A1 oils.

I am not sure about running a thicker oil. Castrol GTX HM did not produce the results I expected, but it might just have been that specific oil.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Castrol GTX HM did not produce the results I expected, but it might just have been that specific oil.

Me either but I had some other stuff going on too.

I had a 4.3 for 12 years and as stated above I did not find it particular at all. Maxlife would be a good match among others.

5w30 the cheapest sn rated oil you can find is the best possible oil there is.
If one oil was better the oil companies would put it on every bottle they make it would say something like this oil is much better than all the rest!

Ratings are ratings period!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
If one oil was better the oil companies would put it on every bottle they make it would say something like this oil is much better than all the rest!

Like mobil 1 ?

I know, i know
45.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

What?

Just because two oils both meet the same API specification does not mean they are of equal performance. The vast majority of engines will benefit from a premium oil - the 4.3 being no exception.

I ran Maxlife 5w30 in my 4.3 S10 for quite awhile. I think that was the smoothest that engine ever ran. Prior to that it saw a steady diet of 5w30 VWB for years. Never had an issue with that truck. They are good motors.

I think the 4.3 is the exception, it runs forever on anything, any flavor. I don't think i have seen one of these engines that didn't outlast the rest of the truck.

I think recommending any API SN 5w30 is appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back