What Oil Are You Running In Your Honda 1.5T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PPPP = Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus
GTL = Gas to Liquid (a process used to extract hydrocarbons from natural gas)
QSUD = Quaker State Ultimate Durability
SOPUS = Shell Oil Products U.S.[/quote]

Thanks for the explanation! I didn't know that Quaker State and Pennzoil are now owned by Shell (a Dutch company). Not that it really matters...

Originally Posted by dblshock
Having a teenager from the Honda dealer do your OCI's doesn't solve the problem, does it?

No. Of course not. But, alas, she is a woman. If you know a way to get her to listen, you let me know.

0/40 ACEA A3/B4 solves those problems and likely with my routine thinness toward mid to end OCI,

I see you have a Honda 1.5T in Wisconsin. Are you getting sufficient heat out of the thing in Winter using 0w40?

Originally Posted by 4WD
I heard one can extract hydrocarbons from natural gas …

Just more Greenpeace propaganda
smile.gif

Hi CLNL

'I see you have a Honda 1.5T in Wisconsin. Are you getting sufficient heat out of the thing in Winter using 0w40?'

Yep she's got plenty good cold here 400 meters from the north border (54121)...

When it's below 0F you really can't get heat fast enough...the leather seats take a good 90sec. and the Civic moving
maybe 5 min, but no, it goes right up to temp in frigid cold...if I'm feeling weak can always remote start.

Son has 2017 Honda CRV with the 1.5T. Use Kendall GT-1 SYN Dexos 1 Gen 2. Honda calls for 0w-20. I use 3 bottles of 0w-20 mixed with 1 bottle of 5w-30. When checking oil level on dip stick there is a strong odor of fuel from it. There is no increase in oil level on dip stick though. He travels 100 mile round trip to work 5 days a week. 85% highway driving. He has no issues with the cabin heat.

Edge 0w40 is a super oil. However, pennzoil euro L is dexos 2 approved, which is a good spec and focuses on many thing, including lspi. Also easily available. I'd pick this, as it's close to a 40 wt

Originally Posted by BTLew81
Edge 0w40 is a super oil. However, pennzoil euro L is dexos 2 approved, which is a good spec and focuses on many thing, including lspi. Also easily available. I'd pick this, as it's close to a 40 wt

Gonna be spendy with these engines needing 5K OCIs due to fuel contamination.

If I had one I'd be running PPPP 10W-30.

Originally Posted by john_pifer

In my neck of the woods euro l is the same price as the 10w30 you mention. I just feel a dexos oil is the way to go. Not sure on calcium levels on the PPPP 10w30.

In my neck of the woods euro l is the same price as the 10w30 you mention. I just feel a dexos oil is the way to go. Not sure on calcium levels on the PPPP 10w30.

I haven't had LSPI problems with the WRX. Yeah, I've had a couple of times where I figure it happened (like, twice). It happened when I was on the freeway doing around 60-65 MPH in high gear and tipped into the throttle while going up a slight incline to pass a slower car, the turbo spooled up, and I got a little knock. But as long as you know what regime it happens in (throttle openings of 40-50% or more, at lower engine RPM, in higher gears), you can avoid. And, I've done the same thing a lot of times where it hasn't happened. It's not a common thing. Apparently conditions have to be just right. I just make an effort to downshift and get the RPMs up to pass, etc, and no chance of it even happening.

I haven't had LSPI problems with the WRX. Yeah, I've had a couple of times where I figure it happened (like, twice). It happened when I was on the freeway doing around 60-65 MPH in high gear and tipped into the throttle while going up a slight incline to pass a slower car, the turbo spooled up, and I got a little knock. But as long as you know what regime it happens in (throttle openings of 40-50% or more, at lower engine RPM, in higher gears), you can avoid. And, I've done the same thing a lot of times where it hasn't happened. It's not a common thing. Apparently conditions have to be just right. I just make an effort to downshift and get the RPMs up to pass, etc, and no chance of it even happening.

Not disagreeing at all. Just saying that euro l is a little extra measure of prevention and priced the same is the oil you are running, plus it might be better as a year round where it gets pretty chilly. I'm sure either would work.

I never had a discernible LSPI event and I still avoid hi Ca products but when I see stuff like Dexos, ILSAC, Resource Conserving, 0W20, D1G2 and now 0W16 I get the creeps and avoid, This engine although a ton of fun is a lube torture chamber as bad as it gets so max protection is prudent.

OK, here we go...Current OCI was 5/19/18 Edge 0/40, 6,100 mi. so far.. last month or so was down right frigid so cold short trips 3 miles to town, post office, groceries, GF, fuel ect.

Here's a cleaned blade..
Then a current reading 11/30/18 6,100mi.
and the subsequent paper blot

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0818.JPG

As you see it's up about a half qt. so soon I'll do my siphon 1qt. add .5qt...intend to run this fill out 8-9k

no, it's not bad has a great tactile texture, dark from the fuel I'd imagine..I'll be drawing a qt of this swill soon replacing that with 05qt fresh
this will be repeated maybe 6 times thru march...

Garak my GF been using this car and she promises 91 w/tcw-3 I keep in the trunk and
taught her how to do but she always seems to have bigger fish to fry....now shes commandeered my T4R that the snow is fly'n
her car went to the college son...I may have to pull the pin on this set up soon.

I never had a discernible LSPI event and I still avoid hi Ca products but when I see stuff like Dexos, ILSAC, Resource Conserving, 0W20, D1G2 and now 0W16 I get the creeps and avoid, This engine although a ton of fun is a lube torture chamber as bad as it gets so max protection is prudent.

D1g2 shouldn't give you concern. Nor should dexos 2. Both decent specs and protect from lspi and timing chain wear. I can see where 0w16 makes you shiver.

Originally Posted by Garak
Well, it would seem you have tried just about everything sensible that you could throw at it, from SAE grade to premium.

Thanks, Yah, I'm comfortable with the 1.5T routine here in the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back