What Oil Are You Running In Your Honda 1.5T?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
That's the absolute wrong car to short trip in the winter. Did Honda solve the issue with a hard fix yet?

My thought is they can fix it with computer tuning. I'm thinking no physical changes are required.

Originally Posted by double vanos
Wondering out loud if maybe this engines fuel dilution issues will subside as the engine matures via better ring sealing. If this engine has a sump that's less than 4qts and you're seeing the oil level climb on the dipstick, I'm thinking short OCIs with a robust oil and by that I mean if the manufacturer says 20 weight oil look for an oil that has a cst that almost breaks into the 30 wt range. This engine sounds like it should be broken in with an eye toward getting the rings to seat asap. Makes me puzzle why Honda felt it so necessary to run such high fuel rates.

I never had oil level rise on mine until 35+k miles. I think it is way more dependent on short trips

Originally Posted by john_pifer
My girlfriend bought a new 2018 Honda Civic (LX, hatchback, 6-speed manual) recently and asked me what I'd run for oil.

She really asked you what oil to use ?
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Wondering out loud if maybe this engines fuel dilution issues will subside as the engine matures via better ring sealing.

Honda engineers have probably already completed a detailed competitor comparative study of ring design, along with cylinder smoothness.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ring twist, a function of stiffness & cylinder friction forces.
Ring face shapes play a big role in sealing & friction.
Ring tension is yet another variable. Many more variables.

Wondering out loud if maybe this engines fuel dilution issues will subside as the engine matures via better ring sealing.

I don't think it has anything to do with the seals.

Honda is probably intentionally dumping fuel in it to avoid LSPI
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Any 5w30 synthetic should be sufficient. Filling with premium may also help

Yeah, I doubt she'll run premium in it much. The ability to run 87 is the main reason she bought an LX instead of the Sport, which only has 6 more horsepower.

I have seen her put 89 in it on occasion.

Originally Posted by BTLew81
I think the belief is that because fuel dilution really seems to thin the oil, a slightly thicker oil will help mitigate this risk. I also forgot to add that I'd go no longer than 5k between changes and use 89 octane fuel, at a minimum.

Forgot about magnatec. Lots of people have had good luck using this in diluting tgdi engines. It's priced right as well. Don't forget that pennzoil has a rebate through the end of the year and Valvoline has a rebate through the end of the month.

Good call on the rebates. I'll mention that to her.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
That Honda 1.5T only holds 3.7 quarts with filter...... wow!
Change often and I would use 5w30, even during the warranty period.

A girlfriend that discusses oil change products and wants UOAs done..... another wow!

Yes...and don't forget she deliberately sought out the LX with 6-speed, which is a rare bird.

Yeah, you're starting to see why I like her. Plus, she's hot!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
OP:Given her northern Indiana location and the fact that it's a brand new car, I'd run the recommended oil in the winter (0W-20?). I'd review the PDS for all your 0W-20 candidates and use the thickest one. Then, in the summer, you could try a xW-30, but this time I'd choose the thinnest one.
Good advice. Winter is plenty cold enough for thinner oil if fuel thinning happens to some extent. Another alternative is to add in a good oil thickener in the spring, as in Schaeffer Moly EP 132 which has a KV100=200 cSt, so about a cup of it this summer to counter fuel presence. Get the oil level to half way on the dipstick & watch it for any rising.
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Also, given the short tripping I think a 5k OCI might be on the long side. Those motors have small sumpst
Not too small for only 1.5L, a tiny engine. (A Hond GoldWing motorcycle has 1.8L for comparison.). ... 3.7 quarts in the Civic, which is like putting in 7 quarts in a BMW 3.0L.

Ehh, thanks, but she's not gonna go to the trouble of adding an oil thickener. She'll just want to find a decent oil and stick to it.

Wondering out loud if maybe this engines fuel dilution issues will subside as the engine matures via better ring sealing. If this engine has a sump that's less than 4qts and you're seeing the oil level climb on the dipstick, I'm thinking short OCIs with a robust oil and by that I mean if the manufacturer says 20 weight oil look for an oil that has a cst that almost breaks into the 30 wt range. This engine sounds like it should be broken in with an eye toward getting the rings to seat asap. Makes me puzzle why Honda felt it so necessary to run such high fuel rates.

Actually, we won't know how bad her particular engine is about dilution until she gets her first UOA, which she likely won't do on the FF. Maybe after she run her first fill of whatever oil she chooses.

Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
That's the absolute wrong car to short trip in the winter. Did Honda solve the issue with a hard fix yet?

Like I said, she is currently taking a trip to another town that is a 1-hr drive, one way, once a week...so, that should negate the short trips. That's in addition to out of town trips that she takes usually at least once a month.

I have the Si with the same motor.. the oil dilution on these cars is serious.

I run Supertech 5w30 synthetic mostly, sometimes I mix it with used oil taken out of my STI.

The important thing is to change the oil OFTEN on these cars to get the fuel out, and to run a weight heavier because even a 30wt has been known to shear to a 16w...

I would never bother running any expensive oil in this car.. I would even run a cheap blend.

Ehh, thanks, but she's not gonna go to the trouble of adding an oil thickener. She'll just want to find a decent oil and stick to it.
Warranty says you have to show evidence of using an API certified 0w-20. Using the Schaeffer oil thickener of about a cup would mean you could not tell Honda about that, and Honda wouldn't know. Using an Xw-X0 of anything other than 0w-20 means they won't honor the engine warranty if they suspect you used the non-recommended oil. You could just take the chance there would never be an engine warranty claim over the next 6 years. Amsoil SS and Redline are not API, so they are out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BTLew81
I think the belief is that because fuel dilution really seems to thin the oil, a slightly thicker oil will help mitigate this risk. I also forgot to add that I'd go no longer than 5k between changes and use 89 octane fuel, at a minimum.

Forgot about magnatec. Lots of people have had good luck using this in diluting tgdi engines. It's priced right as well. Don't forget that pennzoil has a rebate through the end of the year and Valvoline has a rebate through the end of the month.

Good call on the rebates. I'll mention that to her.

With the current Cyber Monday Walmart pricing at $19.98 for a 5-quart of PP or PUP, they'd be paying you $0.02 after the $20 Shell gas rebate to use their oil.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by rsalan
I'd go with a D1G2 0w20 with div>

What is that cert? Higher HTHS?

Dexos 1 Gen 2, GM's cert that tackles LSPI and piston deposits in TGDI vehicles.

Buy oil in walmart/amazon, keep receipt, return. Buy whatever you like/want again and run it. Problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back