What oil are you guys using in your HEMI Rams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys - I went to the dark side and purchased a fully loaded RAM 1500 Limited 4x4 with the 5.7L Hemi. What an incredible truck. I know 5w/20 is the preferred oil with 5W/30 being allowed. I will be running 5W/30 as I do in the wife's Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6L.

Just wanting to know what you guys are using.

I ran PPPP and a little bit of Mobil 1 5w20 over the 145,xxx km I ran the truck for. I ran it hard with a trailer and while I cant back any anecdotal claims for how well it ran, it never required top up oil through the 10-12k km oil changes.

In hindsight I really should have run a 5w30 not only for the possible added protection but it would have made oil purchases much easier for everything else that runs 5w30 in my yard.

Run the 5w30. Make life easier.

I used Farm and Fleet store brand 5w-20 Dino in my old 05 Hemi for 220k miles. Never developed the tick. I gave it to my dad for a wood hauler, no idea what he's using now. I assume the same thing. It did not have MDS.

I have ran mostly 10w30, some 5w30 all group 3 synthetics. Now going to run group 4 Amsoil SS 0-w20. Mine is 2010 5.7 hemi 2500 w/o MDS.

0w20 M1 afe, 0w30 m1 afe, PU 0w20, Napa 0w20, edge 0w20, pyb 5w20, mix of 0w20 and 5w30 m1, ...
Owned 4 of these trucks so far and run whatever I get on clearance. Never a noise on any of them.

Come to Ram Forum visit the poll of ram users. The most used oil is PUP specifically made for the hemi (0w40 PUP was designed for 6.4), second is m1, 3rd oil used is Redline, 4rh oil used is Amsoil. Why? Because we have found certain challenges with the hemi's, so guys are "trying" to think out of the box and go to oils with more additives, different base oils, high visc, etc. As for m1, mainly because costco deal is hard to beat, and it's a great oil. Just saying, there are strategies over there to try and combat the lifter cam problems that are a problem with hemi's.

Lotsa stuff going on with rams and oils, for the first time Cummins recommends diesel treatments,Ram upped the visc for eco diesels due to wide spread damage of thin oil, Ram engineers teamed with Pennzoil to develop an oil with high moly to address issues the hemi was having, there are tsb's out for oil issues, etc. Now, FCA is in a quagmire when it comes to the 5.7. As we know the gov't is in their kitchen with fuel standards, so they literally can't recommend what they want to recommend for the 5.7 due to CAFE standards. But the cam/lifter fails are common knowledge on the ram boards, so put some effort into your strategy. I would say you already have, going to 5w30 is a great choice. I will say at one point we had 6 cam lifter fails happen in a row with non moly oils. I would make sure your oil had molybdenum just as a safe move, no downside and most oils have it. good day, Burla from Ram Forum

I have been running PP in my Ram since new and switched over to PUP on its current fill last summer/fall. The only reason for the switch was I found the PUP at a very good price.

I ran Mobil in my last truck (5.3 09 Sierra) but due to numerous UOAs showing higher than average wear metals, I switched to PP and haven't looked back.

I am also currently running PUP in my wife's car and will continue to do so there as well.

Congrats on your new truck. I was a GM truck guy for years, or up until 2013. With my current Ram, I have no thoughts of looking back. By far the best truck I have ever owned.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Guys - I went to the dark side and purchased a fully loaded RAM 1500 Limited 4x4 with the 5.7L Hemi. What an incredible truck. I know 5w/20 is the preferred oil with 5W/30 being allowed. I will be running 5W/30 as I do in the wife's Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6L.

What? 5w30? And leave me running 0w20 in a vehicle from your plant?
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: burla
Come to Ram Forum visit the poll of ram users. The most used oil is PUP specifically made for the hemi (0w40 PUP was designed for 6.4), second is m1, 3rd oil used is Redline, 4rh oil used is Amsoil. Why? Because we have found certain challenges with the hemi's, so guys are "trying" to think out of the box and go to oils with more additives, different base oils, high visc, etc. As for m1, mainly because costco deal is hard to beat, and it's a great oil. Just saying, there are strategies over there to try and combat the lifter cam problems that are a problem with hemi's.

Lotsa stuff going on with rams and oils, for the first time Cummins recommends diesel treatments,Ram upped the visc for eco diesels due to wide spread damage of thin oil, Ram engineers teamed with Pennzoil to develop an oil with high moly to address issues the hemi was having, there are tsb's out for oil issues, etc. Now, FCA is in a quagmire when it comes to the 5.7. As we know the gov't is in their kitchen with fuel standards, so they literally can't recommend what they want to recommend for the 5.7 due to CAFE standards. But the cam/lifter fails are common knowledge on the ram boards, so put some effort into your strategy. I would say you already have, going to 5w30 is a great choice. I will say at one point we had 6 cam lifter fails happen in a row with non moly oils. I would make sure your oil had molybdenum just as a safe move, no downside and most oils have it. good day, Burla from Ram Forum

You really took the time to post great information - thank you! I plan on checking out the Ram Forum!

Originally Posted By: 4WD

What? 5w30? And leave me running 0w20 in a vehicle from your plant?
shocked.gif

LOL! Well I still have OW/20 in my company provided Yukon.

Originally Posted By: irv
I have been running PP in my Ram since new and switched over to PUP on its current fill last summer/fall. The only reason for the switch was I found the PUP at a very good price.

I ran Mobil in my last truck (5.3 09 Sierra) but due to numerous UOAs showing higher than average wear metals, I switched to PP and haven't looked back.

I am also currently running PUP in my wife's car and will continue to do so there as well.

Congrats on your new truck. I was a GM truck guy for years, or up until 2013. With my current Ram, I have no thoughts of looking back. By far the best truck I have ever owned.
cheers3.gif

I am in total amazement over this truck. So many thoughtful touches throughout. I was jumping up and down when I saw it has a underhood lamp!

Originally Posted By: irv

cheers3.gif

I am in total amazement over this truck. So many thoughtful touches throughout. I was jumping up and down when I saw it has a underhood lamp!

crackmeup2.gif
Me too!

I could write a small novel on things that went wrong with my 09 Sierra, but since it's long gone and my 2013 Ram, still, to this day, puts a smile on my face, I'll let it be.

I meant to mention in my other post that I am also using 5W-20. I have wondered about going with 5W-30 but it has been mentioned in here there is lots of talk about that so I've decided just to stick with the 5W-20. My current stash of 5W-20 PP and PUP will guarantee that.
crazy.gif

Curious, what Ram Forum are you and Burla referring too? I belong to a couple but don't frequent them too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back