What Oil? 2011 Callaway Camaro, Supoercharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: buster
Anthony is a bit off in that thread.

Basically, you want a racing oil or an oil with much higher levels of ZDP when racing and when moding your car. With that said, there are many options out there.

I would use Mobil 1 0w40 or Mobil 1 High Milage. Their racing oils are excellent, but expensive and hard to find.

Rotella or Valvoline VR1 Racing oil is a good option too.

It's a roller motor. I would be extremely surprised if the engine needed higher levels of ZDDP, as Callaway would have adequately tested the engine under the harshest of conditions before making their recommendation (which, yes, I know, mirrors GM's, but anyway).

GM uses M1 0w-40 in their race program Corvette's, which likely have even higher power density.

M1 0W-40 is definitely easy to get and likely adequate. If I was spending the day at the track I'd consider Z-Rod or Dominator by Amsoil as good choices.

Note that in an entire day of lapping Homestead with 300 degree oil temps and M1 0W-40 in the sump my analysis' were excellent, it's a better oil than many know.

Originally Posted By: hal2626
German Castrol-thick 0W30 (nearly a 40!) or M1 0W40 IMHO

Agreed...

If I went with the Redline Oil, Why wouldn't I go woth the 5w-30 that is recommended?

I emailed Callaway, They recommend Mobil 1 5w-30, I think probably because that is the Manufacturers recommendation. I just want what is best for the Car..... I really know nothing about oils and thought with all the experts here I would be sent in the right direction.

I am one to say try whatever you feel like oil wise, even on new cars. I have done it several times before with no negative issues. But being this car is so unique and not on the cheap side, I think i would stick with exactly what was recommended. Most oils would be more than fine, so if they recommend it, why take the risk?

Originally Posted By: tig1
GM has been using M1 5-30 in Corvetts since 1994. GM knows a lot about oil. Also off the shelf M1 5-30 is used by some of the LaMans series race cars, and it has the Honda HTO-06 high temp low deposit spec. In short, M1 5-30 is one of the best oils around that meets your spec. Also never discount the possibility of oil salesman that use the site you mentioned, and M1 oil is often their main target to discredit.

I agree with you 100%. Only error in your post is that Mobil 1 became factory fill in Corvettes not in 1994 but starting in 1992 with the LT-1. Mobil 1 is all that has every been in my '94 Corvette and many other vehicles of mine.

http://blogs.vetteweb.com/6233801/corvette-news/vette-and-mobil-1-celebrate-15-years/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Note that in an entire day of lapping Homestead with 300 degree oil temps and M1 0W-40 in the sump my analysis' were excellent, it's a better oil than many know.

On the contrary, I think that most (on here at least) DO KNOW by now just how great this stuff is.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
AFA HTO-06 That Honda turbo engine PROGRAM was so DARN good they dumped it,
Are you saying Honda has discontinued the HTO-06 spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back