What octane is Sheetz flex fuel?

So, 100 AKI is around 100 octane?

It's 100 by the (R+M)/2 method, which is also known as the anti-knock index (AKI). As opposed to many parts of the world where research octane number (RON) is what's posted at the pump. It doesn't exactly correlate because there are different spreads between research and motor octane, but it's usually close enough.

Formula-for-Success-Image-685x514.jpg

I am definitely well educated now, just never used the term AKI until now. :)

What i've been seeing all along at the US pumps showing this

MINIMUM OCTANE RATING
(R + M) / 2 METHOD

, is also known as AKI = minimum octane rating for unleaded motor fuel, #'s we see at the pump!

So, by "octane" is really meant "octane rating" of either AKI or RON.

And saying 93 octane at the pump (which i think is more normal ???) is really saying minimum octane rating of 93 AKI.

image.png

I am definitely well educated now, just never used the term AKI until now. :)

What i've been seeing all along at the US pumps showing this

MINIMUM OCTANE RATING
(R + M) / 2 METHOD

, is also known as AKI = minimum octane rating for unleaded motor fuel, #'s we see at the pump!

So, by "octane" is really meant "octane rating" of either AKI or RON.

And saying 93 octane at the pump (which i think is more normal ???) is really saying minimum octane rating of 93 AKI.

image.png

To some degree yeah. But RON octane is actually quite different than (R+M)/2. Some automakers have recommendations for those who might be driving internationally where that might come up, but there's really no guarantee that meeting a certain RON number means it meets a corresponding AKI number. This is an owners manual page for an Audi TT which makes some claims. It's usually good enough, but there's the chance that the 95 octane RON is necessarily equivalent to 91 octane AKI.

bge1.jpg

new sheetz just opened in buckhorn, pa + it was MOBBED with reg 89 @ $3.30, seen the flex fuel as well + interested in adding some to my 2001 TT with an APR 93 oct tune as i see some knocks detected in my VagCom software.

new sheetz just opened in buckhorn, pa + it was MOBBED with reg 89 @ $3.30, seen the flex fuel as well + interested in adding some to my 2001 TT with an APR 93 oct tune as i see some knocks detected in my VagCom software.
A few gallons should sort you out, it's magic!

pump says 51 to 83 not E-85 so i got an ethanol tester but what % eath relates to what octane? been reading that 30% is safe for anything not too old + after 30% eath the benefits are not as much but they are there + its noted are your injectors up to higher outputs that come with tuning for eath. interesting to me + my basically stock 2001 TT 225Q with APR tune, bigger exhaust + better air intake. car is my fun summer ride + is a garage QUEEN in winter except for an emergency as my 2011 fronty SV 4 wd 6 spd man + 4WD serves me well in winter + light hauling duty + being retired i dont drive a lot.

pump says 51 to 83 not E-85 so i got an ethanol tester but what % eath relates to what octane? been reading that 30% is safe for anything not too old + after 30% eath the benefits are not as much but they are there + its noted are your injectors up to higher outputs that come with tuning for eath. interesting to me + my basically stock 2001 TT 225Q with APR tune, bigger exhaust + better air intake. car is my fun summer ride + is a garage QUEEN in winter except for an emergency as my 2011 fronty SV 4 wd 6 spd man + 4WD serves me well in winter + light hauling duty + being retired i dont drive a lot.
I've tested it - it's ~E85. I run 2-3 gallons to a 14.5 gal tank in my Unitronic tuned Sportwagen. It runs so great with it/zeros out my knock.

Back