What octane is Sheetz flex fuel?

I live in Northern Va, and at many of the Sheetz locations they have “ flex fuel” in the yellow pumps. They list it is E-51 to E83. Some locations list it at 94 octane, some simply have a “ flex fuel” sticker on the product button.

I know the ethanol content varies with the seasons but what would the octane rating be with say 51% ethanol vs the 83%?

I regularly use it in my 19 F150 5.0 that has a 93/e85 adaptive tune. The truck is noticeably peppier when using the e85.

That's what is wrong with E85 fuel being able to be 51% to 83% ethanol content. So unless the fuel company is adding octane booster when the ethanol is at 51% I don't see how it's at 100 octane E85 fuel. That's what is advertised around here. If I'm wrong on this, probably am, please explain how E85 can be sold at 100 octane when the content of ethanol is unknown.

I seriously doubt they add any octane booster. I wonder if e51 would still have a higher octane rating than e10 93 octane?

Depends on a lot of things, including the octane rating of the gasoline portion, but it's supposed to be from 100-105 AKI. But it's going to be a tradeoff between performance and fuel economy.

What is the octane rating of E85 compared to gasoline?
E85 has an octane rating ranging from 100-105, making it a high performance fuel. In comparison, regular unleaded gasoline has an octane rating of 87.​

Depends on a lot of things, including the octane rating of the gasoline portion, but it's supposed to be from 100-105 AKI. But it's going to be a tradeoff between performance and fuel economy.

What is the octane rating of E85 compared to gasoline?
E85 has an octane rating ranging from 100-105, making it a high performance fuel. In comparison, regular unleaded gasoline has an octane rating of 87.​
But they don't say what the octane rating is if there is only 51% ethanol.

But they don't say what the octane rating is if there is only 51% ethanol.

I'd assume it's the the low end of the range. And possibly at such high octane rating numbers, the model for octane rating blending isn't as linear as it is for blending 87 and 91-93 octane fuel to make 89.

Again, I'd some would be happy with the lowest ethanol content because it will result in more miles per gallon, but others want the highest because it results in higher performance. I heard that in some countries, E85 is always at the maximum and it can be relied on to provide the highest performance. Certain it would be great for those going to the track.

This is only RON and not (R+M)/2 and doesn't explain that the base gasoline is, but it does seem to indicate that octane rating goes up clearly. The math does make sense to some degree. There's less of a number increase for each 10% (or so) more ethanol by volume.

1-s2.0-S0016236113007047-gr1.jpg

Down in Richmond area with multiple Sheetz locations having it. I love the stuff. I use 2-3 gallons blended with 93 for extra knock protection/timing advance in my tuned VW. I assume it's 81% as stated for my math on the blend so I will always be at or under my target ~20-25% blend. As to octane, no clue...pumps here say 94 but of course that will vary on the E content. Some folks have tested it here and it was testing at the stated ~80%.

Down in Richmond area with multiple Sheetz locations having it. I love the stuff. I use 2-3 gallons blended with 93 for extra knock protection/timing advance in my tuned VW. I assume it's 81% as stated for my math on the blend so I will always be at or under my target ~20-25% blend. As to octane, no clue...pumps here say 94 but of course that will vary on the E content. Some folks have tested it here and it was testing at the stated ~80%.

Legally it can be sold anywhere from 51-83% ethanol by volume. So it makes it really difficult for most people to rely on it if needed for maximum performance (of course at the expense of mileage).

I absolutely love the stuff in my tuned 19 F150 with the 5 liter. It’s about 2.35 a gallon vs 3.75 for e10 93 octane. The decreased mpg is worth the difference in cost. I do from time to time go get a full tank of 93 from Costco, which is much cheaper than other stations.

I was just curious if when they blend down the ethanol in the colder months if there was any chance the effective octane would drop below 93, but I don’t think that’s the case.

One thing I have noticed is when using the flex fuel the OLM drops like a rock! It usually gets down to about 5% around 7500 miles. This time it went to zero around 6300 miles

Sheets E30 is 88 octane. I used it in my 2020 Equinox 1.5t on a trip from NY to SC. It got the best mpg during the trip.

Hello,

What would i put in at the (E85) Octane?

I too am looking to use local Sheetz E85 pump gas.

Why don't they put the minimum octane rating label on their E85 pump like they do on their E15 which is rated minimum 88 octane ?????

Thanks.

image.png

Hello,

What would i put in at the (E85) Octane?

I too am looking to use local Sheetz E85 pump gas.

Why don't they put the minimum octane rating label on their E85 pump like they do on their E15 which is rated minimum 88 octane ?????

Thanks.

image.png

That's not a legal requirement, and it will vary by up to 5 numbers. But at the minimum it's going to be 100 AKI.

Back