what octane gas in your chain saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run 91 octane fuel in my 2 stroke equipment, but only because 91 octane fuel at gas stations around here tends to be ethanol-free.

All of my hard working engines get high octane...because I love them...
grin.gif

I buy from a un-branded private service station that sells pure gasoline not gasohol(e-10), I use there 89 in 4-strokes, and there 94 super plus in the 2-strokes.

i run e-98 from them in a briggs animal, it comes in sealed barrels, 98%min ethanol 120 octane.

kc

Last edited:
Get some Tru Fuel from Menards or Wal-Mart. It is ethanol free and 92 octane. It comes pre-mixed in 40:1 or 50:1 and is good for 2 years after opening the can...

I use non-ethanol in my small engines. It's usually 93 octane but I'll take 91 too. To me non-ethanol is more important than the higher octane.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Are people using regular (87) or something better in 2 cycle (newish) chain saws?

Higher octane is not "better" gas.

I use 89 octane in all of my 2-strokes, ONLY because Echo specifies 89 octane for some reason, and all of my 2-stroke equipment is made by Echo.

Sometimes power equipment calls for a RON of 91-92. Not the Anti Knock Index listed on our pumps here in US. Normally RON of 91 is related to AKI of 87. This has confused me in the past so i thought I would pass along the info. I believe it is my ATV that states to use RON 91 fuel or higher. For years i thought this meant 91 octane or higher that we normally see on the pumps. I was wrong.

with low compression ratio: I typically use 87 octane gas + 2-T mix in all of my 2cyl engines, trimmers, etc.

higher octane rating has nothing to do on these lowly (low compression) engines. I'd rather spend time sourcing high quality gasoline in my area for the job instead.

Q.

BTW: the proper technical term for octane is the measurement of how resistant of the gasoline to resist pre-combustion during compression stroke, commonly known as "anti-knock". It has no relation to how "fast" the gasoline burns (very poor yet common conception) for all automotive gasoline grades sold in NA, flame speed is pretty much controlled to be the same all across the board,difference is in the degree of octane for the gasoline to resist pre-combustion during compression stroke.

Q.

This whole ethanol thing is a big friggin joke! And I`m getting very,very tired of it!! This stupid [censored] has already ruined my weed wacker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
with low compression ratio: I typically use 87 octane gas + 2-T mix in all of my 2cyl engines, trimmers, etc.

higher octane rating has nothing to do on these lowly (low compression) engines. I'd rather spend time sourcing high quality gasoline in my area for the job instead.

Q.

BTW: the proper technical term for octane is the measurement of how resistant of the gasoline to resist pre-combustion during compression stroke, commonly known as "anti-knock". It has no relation to how "fast" the gasoline burns (very poor yet common conception) for all automotive gasoline grades sold in NA, flame speed is pretty much controlled to be the same all across the board,difference is in the degree of octane for the gasoline to resist pre-combustion during compression stroke.

Q.

I guess it depends on the OPE, my saw manual say 89 minimum and 91 is preferred. Also the 2 stroke oil lowers octane some more, so if you like to mix a bit more than 50:1, going to a higher octane isn't a bad idea. I just buy 5 gal jugs of 91 octane ethanol free, and then I can run it in everything and mix it at 40:1 for everything without keeping seperate jugs. I guess if I owned a mowing business I would probably want to save the difference in gas prices, and I wouldn't have to worry about shelf life either. But sometimes my gas sits around for a few months, so starting with a higher octane makes sense to me.

fwiw, i know of many professional loggers in my area using aviation fuel in their chain saws. ive never done it, but im told that only simple carb adjustments are needed to run this type of fuel. they claim the benefits are; virtually no shelf life limitations to the fuel, no carb/diapram/fuel line issues, saw runs cooler, as well as longer life from the saw. they are doing this to top teir saws; husqvarna, dolmar, and stihl. but i assume the same can be done to others as well.

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape
fwiw, i know of many professional loggers in my area using aviation fuel in their chain saws. ive never done it, but im told that only simple carb adjustments are needed to run this type of fuel. they claim the benefits are; virtually no shelf life limitations to the fuel, no carb/diapram/fuel line issues, saw runs cooler, as well as longer life from the saw. they are doing this to top teir saws; husqvarna, dolmar, and stihl. but i assume the same can be done to others as well.

My guess is that they are looking for ethnol free fuel. No need to run av-gas in small engines unless they are highly modifed

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
My guess is that they are looking for ethnol free fuel. No need to run av-gas in small engines unless they are highly modifed

thats why i noted professional loggers. most of their falling saws are higly modified or what i call screamin demons. i ran a highly modified husqvarna 288xp, and it made the ground shake when ideling. they also have their smaller saws running aviation fuel, im guessing to simplify things. some ppl have noted the harmful effects of the exhaugst, but i highly doubt these guys care

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape[/quote

they also have their smaller saws running aviation fuel, im guessing to simplify things. some ppl have noted the harmful effects of the exhaugst, but i highly doubt these guys care

Yeah, they probably have suffered the brain damage from the leaded fuel, so why change now...
lol.gif

I was using 89 for awhile but have switched to 93. You won't hurt going higher but you roll the dice going under 89 IMO.

These engines run wide open and really scream, plain and simple. Many saws exceeding 14K RPM there is no room for detonation, 93 is added insurance.

There is a reason Stihl recommends 89 and uses 92 in their Motomix fuel in a can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back