What motor oil would you use if it was 1970?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol for us, too,although 1970 may have been a tad early for its hey day.

Castrol was what the Europeans used, and we all knew they had the best stuff.

Besides, Castrol was almost clear; what more proof did you need of it's quality?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Not that I'm building a time machine, but what motor oil would you use with your knowledge today if it was 1970?

If it's alright, I prefer to think you are building a time machine. When you get back to 1970, buy yourself a sweet 1967 Camaro and feed it a steady diet of Havoline or Kendall oil.

During the 70s, I was growing up in Hawaii. The hot oil then was Sears Spectrum 10W-40.

The really cool guys were running Castrol 20W-50 Racing oil.

If I wanted to wax up my engine: Pennzoil
grin.gif

We used Pennzoil back then, 10w40 mostly except me, the smart young kid also added STP! Richard Petty you know!

I use a lot of stuff now but my dad still uses Pennzoil in anything he plans to keep.

I used Valvoline and my choice would still be OK. I assume my choice at the time was influenced by price, since I was a college student. My Dad was mostly a Havoline man.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: zray
Even the knowledge I have today won't help (me) much in 1970. In the real 1970 I used Phillips 66. 10w-30 Trop-Artic in my Karmann Ghia, and Castrol 20w-50 in my 650cc Rickman-Triumph.

PS. re the Trop-Artic, I'm from Bartlesville OK, home and headquarters of Phillips Petroleum Co.

Rickman-Triumph. Those were the coolest bikes I remember those. They were dream bikes!

This was mine. I got to drive it from the Midwest to New England twice . It was a dream. And it had Lockheed disc brakes front and rear ! No other m/c could match the handling.

Z

In 1970 I did use QS 30W in the 1970 VW and various 2 stroke oils in the Kawaski H-1.

VW ran forever but the Kawasaki seized up @ 12,000 miles...for the second time.

Bought a BMW bike after that!

The girlfriend and I watched the Gumball Rally the other day. 1976 IIRC. I swear every other scene had a Castrol GTX sign, barrel, article of clothing etc.

That said, Castrol GTX would probably be my choice.

Many used to think that Quaker State was the best due to being Pennsylvania crude. Esso/Exxon had a reputation of waxing up your engine due to high paraffin. Mobil 1 came out in the early 70's and I tried it in my slant 6 Duster. It was 5w30 and blew right past the rings in that fairly new engine. Quit using it and used Sears Spectrum or QS mostly.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
In 1970 I did use QS 30W in the 1970 VW and various 2 stroke oils in the Kawaski H-1.

"..... but the Kawasaki seized up @ 12,000 miles...for the second time.t!

Ha ha. I had a '70 H-1 (with black tank) great times with that bike too, on long trips I had to take the baffles out of the exhaust pipes every 700 miles and clean them, they got so carboned up. I had the chance to buy either the new Honda 750 or the H-1, like a stupid 19 year old, I went for the faster bike.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back