What motor oil has the most detergents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Valvoline for years too, worked great in my last car (no sludge at all, even with a poor history before I purchased it). Never had a single engine problem.

Me too, only used Valvoline All Climate in my 89 Chevy Caveler 2 liter. drove the crapola out of it, gave the care away to a needy family with 209k and the guy I gave it too, drove it another 30k before he got rid of it.

I see a lot of people calling Valvoline "All Climate" but I don't see that anywhere on any of the Valvoline oil bottles, is it a different type of Valvoline or something?

I think Valvoline use to be call "All Climate", but I think you are right, no wording on the new bottles to indicate as such. May just be called "Valvoline" "Maxlife" "Durablend" or "Synpower".

I was in an auto parts store today and I noticed that the Valvoline conventional motor oil had a different name, but I can't remember what it said. It was not called All Climate anymore, however. I guess Valvoline has come out with a new conventional motor oil. Heck, it was $2.88 a quart.

The latest label for what was All Climate says "Premium" something, maybe "Premium Conventional" not sure. I believe it still says "all climate protection" on the back label. Also if you want to search the MSDS on Valvoline's site, you need to enter "AC".

Quote:

tellpaul, this is the first time EVER i have seen someone talk about cd-2 oil detergent other than me.
have you tried it?

Actually, I think you got me to thinking about this detergent product. Since I like SLOB so much, I figure the oil detergent stuff maybe is good. Hey, I looked at a bottle recently and on the back it said if the engine is pretty dirty, you could use two bottles at once. I'd like to give it a try, but failed to load up on it when Big Lots had it cheap. No it is $4 a bottle, though Murrays has 2 for 1 on it right now.

I've got a lot of good cleaning action from using Valvoline MaxLife; of course I can't prove that without pulling the valve cover, but I'm going to take pictures whenever I do though.
smile.gif

i've heard somethings about maxlife that are scaring me a bit. For example: 1 of the techs said that if you use valvoline maxlife for a while, and switch to another brand of oil, the seals will leak because the maxlife enlarges them, and they decrease in size when you discontinue use.

I've also heared people claiming a very light 'protective layer' on internals from using maxlife...i don't want any 'layer' in my engine.

Yes, TallPaul, it was called 'Premium Conventional.' In my old age I am losing my memory. Is it different than the old 'All Climate?' Or just a different name. In the store I was at it cost $2.88 a quart. Heck, I can get Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil for about $4.00 a quart. At that price, it better be the best conventional motor oil out there!

I do like Valvoline conventional motor oil and the MaxLife. But I did not like the Valvoline synthetic.

That's totally bogas information someone told you. I've switched back and forth between Maxlife and Chevron Supreme and have had no problems what so ever with seals. The car has 90K+ miles and doesn't leak a drop.
smile.gif

but how long have you used the max life? That information was based on you using maxlife long enough for it to affect the seals.

I had all of the varnish stains on the valve springs and rocker arms (what I can see through the filler hole) gone in 1500 miles. Granted it was some mild surface stains, but they were gone none the less. But like I said earlier, you'll just have to take my word for it.
wink.gif

I used the Maxlife for almost 10k miles on a 10yr old engine with 171k miles, then just recently switched back to HDEO Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 for nearly 2k miles now. Not a single leak/weap anywhere.

But then again, I didn't have any leaks/weaps to begin with either.

If a longtime well trusted Isuzu mechanic hadn't recommended that I switch back to the Rotella synthetic - for it's high additive/detergent package, and best overall oil for the Isuzu engines, I'd still be using the Maxlife.

This coming from a LONG-TIME chronic Havoline user!

Quote:

i've heard somethings about maxlife that are scaring me a bit. For example: 1 of the techs said that if you use valvoline maxlife for a while, and switch to another brand of oil, the seals will leak because the maxlife enlarges them, and they decrease in size when you discontinue use.

I've also heared people claiming a very light 'protective layer' on internals from using maxlife...i don't want any 'layer' in my engine.

Anyone else know of this to be true? Geez...I just started using Maxlife, then I hear this #@$%!!

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone else know of this to be true? Geez...I just started using Maxlife, then I hear this #@$%!!

The effect of Maxlife on seals should be similar to that described for AutoRx. If the seals are crud encrusted, the Maxlife will have to clean the crud off before it can really condition the seals. If the crud was forming false seals on aged seals that are somewhat hardened and perhaps shrunken from age, then cleaning the crud off will result in a leak. As the Maxlife conditions the cleaned off seals they should be partially restored to a more pliable condition, which should also allow them to return to their original (pre shrunken) size and thus eliminate the temporary leaks. As with AutoRx, if there are physically damaged seals, then there is no help. Also, I would not expect every vehicle that runs Maxlife to experience a leaking phase. I rather think it is infrequent and happens more on older cars and/or those with very high mileage (as time and use both age seals). I don't see that they should decrease in size after discontinuing use of Maxlife (any more that any seal may decrease in size as a normal part of the aging process).

The light protective layer ... likely they are talking about the Moly (300 ppm) which I heard can "plate" metal surfaces. I don't see a problem with that. For years zddp has been laying down a protective layer.

You may want to discuss these concerns with a tech person at 800-team-val.

Ok. This is my personal experience:

I bought a Used 98 Chevy Lumina with the 3.1 V6 and 80,000 miles.

I immediately changed the Oil to Mobil 1 5W-30, and used ONLY that oil for the next 50,000 miles, changing EVERY 3,000 miles.

At 130,000 miles, I decided to use AUTO RX, because everyone on this web site said it was the bee's knees. Before I used it, I looked through the oil filler hole with a flash light. It seemed pretty clean.

I did one clean and one rinse with Castrol GTX 5W-30. After my rinse phase I cut my filter open.

At that time the car had 134,000 miles, and the filter, was perfectly clean. There was not ONE spec of anything I had seen in the other Auto RX filter pics posted on BITOG.

There are NO real conclusions to be drawn from this... as it is a sample size of ONE, and I understand that.

But I know what I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back