what mileage point is an Engine fully broken in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 13 camary with now 940 Miles on the clock ( still drives Straight ) For those of you who read my previous posting With the alignment issue. Anyways I was planning a trip this weekend To New York which is 950 Miles one way from Atlanta My owners manual Says to take it easy with acceleration And varry the speed for the first thousand miles. Is that enough Mileage for proper break in?? I would like to use the cruise control For the entire drive I have read elsewhere it's not a good idea. So can you guys steer me in the right direction thanks

[censored] on engine break ins.
Drive your car how you want to drive it. I always have, and I've never had a problem that way.
I started commuting the day after I bought my Civic, it it meant passing, I passed (hard acceleration) Engine still runs like day 1 with almost 100,000 KM on it.

940 miles is enough miles for initial break-in. But a Toyota is never fully broken in till about 200k miles!
wink.gif

Have a fun and safe trip!

Don't speed in Virginia, cops are not lenient there with regards to speeding. But hammer down elsewhere!

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Drive your car how you want to drive it. I always have, and I've never had a problem that way.
I started commuting the day after I bought my Civic, it it meant passing, I passed (hard acceleration) Engine still runs like day 1 with almost 100,000 KM on it.
Will the piston rings Seal Properly When using the cruise control

Originally Posted By: hypervish
940 miles is enough miles for initial break-in. But a Toyota is never fully broken in till about 200k miles!
wink.gif
grin.gif

Have a fun and safe trip!

Don't speed in Virginia, cops are not lenient there with regards to speeding. But hammer down elsewhere!
thanks for the tip It will be cruise control all the way

Time to rag on it a little. Go ahead and put the hammer down on the on ramp and run it hard threw the gears once or twice.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Time to rag on it a little. Go ahead and put the hammer down on the on ramp and run it hard threw the gears once or twice.
grin.gif

@TBoss: virtually all automotive engines when rolled out of the assembly line (installed onto the chassis, amongst all other things), are at least 90% broken in.... therefore no blue oily smokes from tailpipes and such can be detected as a result.

Whatever remains to be broken in is what I considered "minor", all you need to do is to drive like a normal, law-abiding automobile owner should and you'll be fine.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
@TBoss: virtually all automotive engines when rolled out of the assembly line (installed onto the chassis, amongst all other things), are at least 90% broken in.... therefore no blue oily smokes from tailpipes and such can be detected as a result.

Whatever remains to be broken in is what I considered "minor", all you need to do is to drive like a normal, law-abiding automobile owner should and you'll be fine.

Q.

So it would be safe to drive long distance at the same speed for five hours or soo ??

Perfectly safe. The modern computer controlled manufacturing process has all but eliminated the need to break in an engine. All anyone need do with a new car today is drive it as you normally would and pay attention to it for a few thousand miles in case any minor issue crop up that need attention under the warranty.

A well cared for engine today, in my opinion, 100,000 miles=broken in; 200,000 miles=got my money's worth; 300,000 miles=working on borrowed time.

Originally Posted By: Tboss

NO. That's why they tell you to vary your speeds for the first thousand miles. Drive for at least the next 50 or 100 miles varying your speed as directed, then go ahead and use the cruise.

You've got possibly another 400,000 miles to go with this thing. Give it the few more miles to be certain that it's broken-in properly. You just spent $30,000 on this thing. Why skimp now? Do it right.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

We're speaking English here. Your 100,000 kilometers is only 62,000 miles, which is insignificant these days.

If you failed to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for break-in, you won't really know what the damage was until you approach 200,000 miles and your throttle body starts filling with oil.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

NO. That's why they tell you to vary your speeds for the first thousand miles. Drive for at least the next 50 or 100 miles varying your speed as directed, then go ahead and use the cruise.

You've got possibly another 400,000 miles to go with this thing. Give it the few more miles it needs to break in properly.
Well the car has 940 Miles on it 60 more miles I should be fine ??

Yes.

But I'm not quite sure why you want to time it exactly to the mile. Is it that troublesome to modulate the gas pedal yourself?

If it were me, and I'd just dropped $30,000 on a brand-new car, I'd be erring on the side of caution and driving it their way a few more miles than absolutely necessary.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

Yes.

But I'm not quite sure why you want to time it exactly to the mile. Is it that troublesome to modulate the gas pedal yourself?

If it were me, and I'd just dropped $30,000 on a brand-new car, I'd be erring on the side of caution and driving it their way a few more miles than absolutely necessary.
I have a trip this weekend to New York it's 950 miles one way And it's all highway

I have a trip this weekend to New York it's 950 miles one way And it's all highway

OK, so drive it exactly 60 miles (105,600 yards) more, varying the speed as prescribed until the odometer rolls to 1000.0, then immediately turn the cruise on.
Do not exceed an odometer reading of 1000.0 miles with the cruise off, or you will have pushed on the gas pedal with your foot for longer than you feel is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back